Subject: Re: Pet Peeves
From: James Souttar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Aug 1996 11:01:39 +0100

Tim:

>Where did this abomination come from? Answer - America, the
>orientate spelling is standard UK English. Orient is a place not a
>verb, to tie it in with previous gripes. To turn it into a verb, add
>"-ate".

It seems to me that North Americans prefer to turn verbs into nouns
by adding "-ize". So, perhaps we need to orientize ourselves in that
direction <g>.

My favourite (it's still too amusing to be a peeve) is "burglarize".
In the UK burglars burgle. But in the US, apparently, burglarizers
burglarize. It alsmost seems as if the noun and the verb are slugging
it out through successive iterations. The next stage, presumably,
will be when people start having their homes burglarizered...

James