Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Phytoplankton Technician Position
From: Jan Rines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 22 Aug 1996 17:34:41 -0400

Apologies for cross-posting on DIATOM-L, PSA & ALGAE-L.

Drs. Jan Rines & Percy Donaghay have an immediate opening for an
introductory level PHYTOPLANKTON TECHNICIAN.  Please send applications
(including log #) to the address below, which first goes to the Affirmative
Action Office.  Please do not send them to me directly, nor email them as
all applications must be logged in by Affirmative Action.  We will be out
in the field from 23 August to 14 September, and will have only
intermittent access to email.  The position description and application
information are as follows:

Marine Research Assistant I. Pay Grade 1 (The starting salary is set by
the PTAA union at $16,522 per year.  Also included is a benefits package
which totals about $7,000).

The position starts immediately and runs through December 1997, with
extension contingent on funding.

DEPARTMENT:
Graduate School of Oceanography, University of Rhode Island

Duties & Responsibilities:
        Maintain phytoplankton stock cultures; grow large volume cultures
under experimental conditions; collect material in the field; use image
analysis to quantify cell/colony size and shape; perform preliminary data
analysis.

Qualifications:
        B.S. or B.A. in botany, biology, oceanography or a related field
required, as is experience with light microscopy (stereo, compound and
inverted) and familiarity with phytoplankton.  Must have experience with
MacIntosh and PC computers.  Experience in ph otomicrography, image
analysis programs and PhotoShop preferred.  Must be able to spend several
weeks per year at remote field sites and/or at sea.  Individual must have
demonstrated ability to follow protocols that require attention to detail
and follow clean laboratory techniques.

Submit a letter of application (please include your email if you have
one), resume and name/phone/email of three references by 6 September 1996
to:

Dr. Jan Rines, Search Coordinator
(Log # 091193)
University of Rhode Island
P.O. Box G
Kingston, Rhode Island 02881

An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer