Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Re: Searching for high-temperature algae
From: joseph seckbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 28 Aug 1996 00:56:30 +0300

Dear Tammy,
        I have investigated the Cyanidium members for several years. These
unicellular rhodophytans can tolerate a temperature rage up to 55-57C. For
more information on these thermophilic algae see the new volume
EVOLUTIONARY PATHWAYS AND ENIGMATIC ALGAE: CYANIDIUM CALDARIUM AND RELATED
CELLS. Edited by Seckbach and published by Kluwer 1994 (the Netherlands).
You will find in that treatise almost everything on these thermophilic
eukaryotic algae.
        If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to
approach me.
Regards

Joseph.

On Sat, 17 Aug 1996, Tammy Hamer wrote:

> Dear Algae-L recipients:
>
>       In our aquaculture laboratory, we are raising bivalves from seed to adult.  We have been culturing numerous strains of microalgae (i.e., Isochrysis galbana, Chaetoceros gracilis and Nitzschia closterium), as feed for the oysters.
>       In these hot summer months, the algae ponds are exceeding the temperature ranges of our algae.  The alternative is shading the ponds, which drops our photosynthesis rate and decreases our productivity.  Therefore, we are experiencingmuch trouble i
n providing enough food for our oysters.                                    Can anyone help!!!
>       I am looking for a unicellular, marine, microalgae ranging in size anywhere from 10-40 microns.  The water is usually between 23-29 degrees C, but it can get as high as 35 degrees celsius!  I would greatly appreciate any assistance or suggestions.
  Thank you in advance.