Help for WELSH-L Archives

WELSH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Welsh connection
From: Joel B Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 25 Jul 1996 16:32:16 -0800

Hylo, John, or' anialwch Washington Dwyrain, lle mae'n mor boeth mae'r
Diawl yn dod yma i dorheulo!

First of all, where are you?  There may be a Welsh group in your area.
The best way to find out might be to contact the Welsh-American
newspaper Y Drych.  Mary Morris Mergenthal, the publisher, is almost certain
 be acquainted with the Welsh community in or near your hometown..
 Write to P.O. Box 8089, St. Paul, MN  55108 or call (612) 642-1653.

I wish you luck with establishing Welsh Language classes.  I taught for a
couple of years at Capel Bryn Seion, in Oregon.  (A matter of Hobson's
choice; my Welsh isn't very good, but I was the best speaker we had.
With a book we managed.  :)  The chief problem was that the only people
who were interested were all older, the children of immigrants, now in
their 60's and 70's and wanting to learn their parents' language.  At
the first sign of difficulty, many of them decided that they were too old to
 learn a language.  Interest flagged, and we stopped having the
classes.

As for learning more, you're in the right place here.  I've learned a lot
following this list, even though for a year or more I couldn't post.  The
majority of the posts are in Welsh, so have your dictionary handy.  And
don't be afraid to try posting in Welsh.  (I see you're not.  Dyna
braf!)  If anybody's laughed at a learner here, they did it to their
computer screen, so you'll never hear it.  :)

Look forward to seeing more from you!  Hwyl Da!

Joel