Subject: Re: Simple question?
From: Andrew Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 27 Jul 1996 18:44:29 -0100

Hello,

re: "There is a typeface used on the graphics for Björks'
records and 'Post' book... Can anybody point me towards
the name of this quirky sans?

cheers, al"

I hope I can. I'd guess it's 1451 Mittelschrift or 1451
Mittelschrift Alternate from the DIN family of typefaces.

It looks exactly like DIN and there's an article in the
current edition (Vol 6 Summer 96) of the magazine "Eye-
International Review of Graphic Design", with Paul White
from Me Company, who produce most of Björks' artwork.
It mentions (quote) "At the moment White favours the
industrial looking DIN as his subsidiary font..."

The Adobe Type On Call 4.1 CD-Rom mentioned the
following:

Quote "The letters DIN refer to the Deutsche Industrie-
Norm, the German Industrial Standard; among their many
uses, these typefaces are seen on most road signs and
license plates in what was formerly West Germany. One
of the primary criteria for the DIN Schriften design was a
facility for reproduction. There are four geometric sans
serif typefaces, of roughly the same weight but of various
widths, from quite round to condensed. Use DIN Schriften
for signage, postage, and display work that emanates a
neo-1990s look."

The full (Adobe listing) for the DIN fonts are:

1451 Mittelschrift
1451 Mittelschrift Alternate
1451 Engschrift
1451 Engschrift Alternate
30064 Neuzeit Grotesk Bold Condensed

The 'Björk' font looks most like either 1451 Engschrift
1451 or Engschrift Alternate.

Hope this helps, let me know if you like any further info,
or if you'd like a GIF (7k file size) example of DIN.

Best regards,

Andy.