Subject: Re: English Spelling?
From: Jim Spiri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 25 May 1996 10:09:52 -0700

At 11:52 AM 5/25/96 EDT, Christina Thiele wrote (in small part):

>And as I said before -- realise that the spelling variations are a
>sign of English' seathing history ;-)

Hey i can't find "seathing" in my OED! i did find "seath" (a pit, hole,
well, or pool) and "seathin" (obs. form of SHITTIM).

perhaps you meant "seething" (Ebullient, tumultuous. Also, pervaded by
intense and ceaseless agitation; often with reference (lit. and fig.) to the
condition of corruption and putrefaction)

One winter i stayed in a cabin at the Adirondack Loj (sic). Melville Dewey
(Dewey Decimal System) came up with a phonetic spelling system (perhaps it
was he Clemens was spoofing)- this is the onlt trace of it i know of
remaining...

Plywood and Rhetoric
graphic design from both sides of the brain
http://www.teleport.com/~plyboy