Subject: Re: Question about words
From: Marcel CoumontBeisig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 22 May 1996 17:15:18 -0700

Hi:

On Wed, 22 May 1996, Jim Spiri wrote:

> >>to whorekid...
> >
> >same in dutch: hoerejong. I was wondering when this thread would end up
> >with these words. I think the english or perhaps american typesetters use
> >'sonofabitch'

For me an sob is someone who is one notch up the scale from asshole.

> No, actually here in the States we use "BghuoytrhgfASreffft" ("offspring of
> a Televangelist and a marmot")

What's your problem with marmots?

> -------------------------
> Plywood and Rhetoric
> graphic design from both sides of the brain
> http://www.teleport.com/~plyboy

Further to previous postings on this subject and dtp:

Tschichold's essay on whore's children (widows) and cobbler's apprentices
(orphans) appears on p 135 of `The Form of the Book'. The essay first
appeared in 1951. He also mentions them on p 115 of the same book in an
essay which first appeared in 1964.

Geoffrey Dowding mentions widows on p 22 of `Finer Points in the Spacing &
Arrangement of Type.' He does not mention orphans. This book first
appeared in 1954.

Both of these texts came a couple decades before desk top publishing
arrived on the scene. The problem with dtp is that any fool with the
money to buy a computer, a printer, software, and a few (generally
flamboyant) fonts can call himself or herself a publisher. As in the past
money cannot buy experience, intelligent or good taste.

Bye,

Marcel.
                                  Researching:

Beisig/Beisick/Biesick;              Bolen;               Coumont & Themans
   from the Bukowina             from the Banat           from the Ardennes