Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  May 1996

AFRIK-IT May 1996

Re: Not quite Internet, is called Matrix

Dr Eberhard W Lisse <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 12 May 1996 22:06:38 +0100

Roger,

> [...]
> > electronic communication and not Internet because store & forward email is
> > a lot more achievable in Africa that the sort of connection for Web surfing
> > that we who are in the West take for granted.
>
> Are some of you rejecting Internet's role in Africa just because you see it
> only as Webberie?

The interesting thing is that there is quite a hysteria going on here
with everyone wanting to have WWW and stuff. Nevermind that the people
doing actual work via the net, eg the NGOs, insist that we keep their
uucp access. They do mainly email with their counterparts... We give
them additional PPP access for the Web.

WWW will go away eventually because it is realy but a toy. However a
great one.

> I for one am leading a very active Internet existence using "store & forward",
> namely UUCP.  Not only email but 'ftpmail' and 'webmail'.  I do have a PPP
> account for Web surfing but it is of limited value due to the deficiencies
> of the French communications system.

:-)-O I doubt it is their comms system, it is probably more the
inflexibility of their TelCom monopoly.

> And you don't have to wait until you get a high-speed connection for UUCP.
> Remember that leading businesses in the developed world were using Telex
> at ~75 baud just ten years ago.

Remember thelephone lines are analog. That means if you can get your
TelCom to give you a really nice and clean pair of wires you can squeeze
quite some bytes out of it...

on a 28800 line 6000 cps effective is not impossible, I get 3000-4000
bps effective any time via 14400 modems.

> But UUCP could profit from some additions for the benefit of those who
> must pay dearly for every kilobyte.  For instance, to be able to preview
> incoming mail for size, origin and content before downloading from the
> server (presumably located at a high-speed node).  This is necessary
> if one is to subscribe to mail-groups that are prone to spammers and
> other noise-makers.

For size it can be done, by taylor-uucp, for content and origin I am
very sure not. I reckon even the Chinese can't do this just yet :-)-O

> Our beloved and grumpy Dr. Lisse could probably comment on what more
> could be done with UUCP.

I am not grumpy, grumpy is the gateway in Windhoek :-)-O

One great trick is to ask you gateway to allow you to execute the
program ncftp. This is a great ftp replacement which can be used via
command line. SO you can execute it via uux on your next run:

        uux -r 'grumpy!ncftp  -r -d 600 -g 20 -c \
        ftp://hermes.is.co.za/.0/networking/info-service/www/clients/nets\
        cape/2.0/windows/n16e20.exe > !~/n16e20.exe'

That's much more effective then using the ftpmail.

One other thing which irritates me to no end is this dreadful RIO that
ORSTOM insits they must force down their colonies throats.

RIO is a plain uucp network using X25. They have expensive hardware,
SPARCS with PADs in each colony that are accessed from Montpellier, which
means the colonies must pay France TeleCom instead at least pay their own
local TeleComs (which would make them perhaps a tiny little bit more
favourable).

Then, X25 is 7 bit only which means the uucp protocol must encode all
data. And because it is digital you can't squeeze anything out of it.
Now you can gzip the stuff before it goes into the system, but then the 7
bit problem comes into play. They don't even try, though :-)-O

I think they are 10 times at least too expensive. They will get at the
most 300 to 400 cps out of this. Compare this to 6000 over a tuned
28800/taylor-uucp/smail link.

> Those of us in the high bandwidth world could help out by gathering and
> digesting useful information to be passed on to BW-challenged users.
>
> And speaking of 75 baud, this has been used by radio hams as well as
> news agencies on the short-wave bands for decades.  For non-commercial
> text this narrow-band method could work very well.  I could consider
> renewing my ham license just for that.

I don't think this is useful. However I'd like to do IP via radio.

> One can do very well without expensive equipment.  For 2400 baud a
> few resistors, capacitors and an op-amp can substitute for a modem.
> A cheap cassette recorder can capture text for replay on a dumb
> terminal.  These tricks were what I used out of necessity 15 years ago.

For local calls, yes indeed, for international calls?  Way too
expensive! There you want 28800 at least :-)-O

el

--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse   \         /              Swakopmund State Hospital
<[log in to unmask]>            *        |               Resident Medical Officer