AFRIK-IT May 1996

AfricaOne Project

DILLA SAMUEL <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 11 May 1996 16:37:24 -0600

Hi:

Talking of Internet for Rural Development, I thought of a paper that
mentions a giant fiber optic cable that is being build by AT&T around
the entire African coast. This project is called AfricaOne. So with this
fiber optic cable in place we will be able to discuss the internet issues
for rural development. This is going to be the infrastructure. Has anyone
got more ideas on what AfricaOne is all about?

We should be discussing the content that goes in the internet.
Are we going to have tougher regulations pertaining to transmission of
sexually explicit material?

Given that African countries have no experience with this kind of
information overload, are we going to limit the expression of ideas or
just let everything flow?

I'm interested to know what kind of internet Africa wants.  Internet for
educational purposes sounds right, but there is difficulty regulating what
children will find out say in surfing the Web. For Medical uses, internet is
great.
I think we need to learn from what the West is going through with respect
to the internet otherwise we will find ourselves in uncontrollable influences.

Infact, I support going ahead with plans to introduce the internet as far
as the rural areas of Africa deep to the villages. Doctors in the
villages will be able to discuss with experts worldwide info regarding
certain tropical diseases. First, stage introduction to schools would be
to teach teachers and then as facilities become available the schools
will have access to it.
It is written that " If you wait for the perfect weather to come before
sowing your seeds, at the harvest time, you will have nothing to reap".
So lets not get hung up trying to go all the steps the West had to go
through that is, Agricultural, Industrial, and then to information
technology society. We can leap frog.

Let me hear what you think also.

Thanks

Sam Dilla