AFRIK-IT May 1996

Electronic Journal

"K.Webb" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 May 1996 09:06:46 +0100

Dear All
As you can see from the appendage below I am setting up an electronic=20
journal.  I want the editorial board to reflect the global nature of the=20
project and hence want input from connected reputable African academics=20
and writers.  I would be grateful if you could help me in this respect.
With best wishes
Keith Webb

Dear Listmembers
Details follow of an electronic journal.  If interested, perhaps you
could respond in one of the following ways
1] If you would like to be on the editorial board, send me a (brief) cv
re status and interests.
2] If you would like to be a referee for articles submitted to the
journal, send me a (brief) cv re status and areas of interest.
3] If you have an article to submit, send it to me.
4] If you have any coments on the project I would be glad to have them.
If you want to find out about me (who is this guy Webb?) there is a brief
bio on the UKC homepage under 'GSIR Staff Members' - URL is
http://snipe.ukc.ac.uk/international/
With best wishes
Keith Webb

Electronic Journal of International Conflict Analysis

To be published by the Graduate School of International Relations, The=20
Department of Politics and International Relations, The University of=20
Kent at Canterbury, Canterbury, UK.

Editor: Dr Keith Webb,The University of Kent
Deputy Editor: Dr Vivienne Jabri, The University of Kent
Technical Editor: Peter Mandaville B.A., M.A.

Academic nature of the journal
The journal will be a refereed journal.  Refereeing will be =D4blind=D5,=20
i.e., the referees will not be aware of the identity of the author.

Placement
The Journal will be run through and located through the Graduate School=20
of International Relations homepage.

Scope of the journal
The Journal will investigate and analyse communal, international and=20
internationalised conflicts from a broad range of perspectives.  Among=20
these, but not limited to these, are:
- the history and analysis of particular conflicts
- comparative studies of conflicts
- general theories of the origins of international and internationalised=20
conflicts
- reviews of literature on conflict
- moral and philosphical analyses of conflict
- mediation and third-party intervention in conflict
- the role of international and regional IGOs and NGOs in the managment=20
of conflict
- the theory and practice of conflict resolution
- letters and responses to articles
- any other area or theme that the Editorial Board considers relevant.

Publication
Publication will be by =D4volumes=D5 equivalent to one calendar year.  Ther=
e=20
will be no =D4issues=D5 since the medium renders this redundant.  The initi=
al=20
contributions to Volume 1 will be available on January 1st 1997.

Accessibility
The Journal will be on open and unrestricted access on the WWW.

Copyright
Copyright of articles or submissions will remain with the authors. =20

With respect to quotations the norms of conventional publishing should be=
=20
followed.  Should particular articles or submissions need the permission=20
of authors or publishers to quote material from othe sources, this is the=
=20
responsibility of the author of the article or submission.  It is not the=
=20
responsibility of the Editors.  Where necessary such permissions should=20
be communicated to the Editors.

Process
1] A distinguished editorial board and a panel of referees will be sought=
=20
by the Editor and Deputy Editor.
2] A call for papers will be broadcast.
3] Papers as received will be considered by selected referees.
4] A style sheet as an exemplar will be placed on the homepage.
5] Receipt of manuscripts will be acknowledged.

Style
The Harvard style of referencing will be adopted by the Journal.  This is=
=20
more congruent with the technology of production than other styles, i.e.,=
=20
text (Butler, 1855: 33); and at end:
Butler J.  The Analogy of Religion to the Constitution and Course of=20
Nature: Also Fifteen Sermons, London: Religious Tract Society, 1855.
or
text (Converse and Depeux, 1966: 221) and at end:
Converse P.E. and G.Depeux  =D4Politicization of the Electorate in France=
=20
and the United States=D5, in L.A.Coser [ed.]  Political Sociology: Selected=
=20
Essays, New York: Harper Row, 1966, pp216-246.
or
text (Elster, 1982: 453) and at end:
Elster J.  =D4Marxism, Functionalism, and Game Theory: The Case for=20
Methodological Individualism=D5, Theory and Society, 11, 4, 1982, pp453-483=
.
=20
Notes should be numbered sequentially.

Submission of papers
Papers may be submitted in a variety of ways, i.e., on disk (preferably=20
in ASKII); electronically by email or file transfer; or in hard-copy in a=
=20
font suitable for scanning.
Submitted manuscripts should normally contain:
- a title
- names and affiliations of the author(s)
- a short abstract
- the main text
- notes