Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  May 1996

AFRIK-IT May 1996

Sixth Winelands' Conference: Networking for Sustainable Development

Johan Groenewald <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 May 1996 22:50:00 -0100

Hello from Cape Town, South Africa

Recent debates on the AFRIK-IT list are closely related to the theme of a
forthcoming conference at the University of Stellenbosch. Professor Erwin
Schwella has asked me to "spread a word" about the conference on the Internet.

Conference details can be found at: http://www.sun.ac.za/local/oob/wineland.html

Please take a look at the bulletin board at this site and add your comments.

Regards

Johan Groenewald
http://www.aztec.co.za/users/sapaweb

Sixth Winelands' Conference: Networking for Sustainable Development

To be held at Stellenbosch, South Africa in September/October 1997.

The School of Public Management and the Department of Public and
Development Management are planning the Sixth Winelands'Conference
to take place for three days in September/October 1997 at Stellenbosch.
It is an international conference that has already gained prominence
nationally and internationally. Characteristically the focus is
on public and development management within the South African
context and scrutiny is centered on the public sector as well
as development institutions in the private sector (NGO's).

Considering the exceptional nature of our development needs and
the growing international networking systems (personal, group
and technological) it was decided to utilise networking, nationally
and internationally, to the advantage of the inhabitants of South
Africa. Given this frame of reference, the theme identified for
the Sixth Winelands' Conference is "Spanning the Global Divide: Networking
for sustainable delivery"

The intended idea with the international conference is that the
School of Public Management organises the conference with its
specific technological demands, in co-operation with international
contacts/collaborators in the USA, Europe and Africa as well as
national contacts (NGO's, government departments, provincial and
local authorities). It is absolutely essential that the advantages
of networking technology for development in general in South Africa
should be made known and emphasized. Given the specialized expertise,
networks and demonstrations presented at an international conference,
the latter can only serve as an effective instrument for propagating
the values of networks.

With a view to exploring and consolidating potential and/or existing
relations, contributions are called for. Any contribution in the
form of substantive ideas about the extent and topical content
of the theme as well as suggestions about possible participants
will be appreciated. We regard the coming conference as a great
opportunity for consolidating and extending our international
networking.

Making use of W.W.Web, Bulletin Board,  and the Internet we have introduced
an international network debate about various themes,
such as development, the public sector, academic ventures, socio-economic
strategies and political contexts. You are invited to enter meaningful
ideas/suggestions via the User Networking system, thus contributing
to a debate that can eventuate into the Sixth Winelands' Conference
in 1997. Your participation in this networking debate is an important
input that will be appreciated.