Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

Subject: Re: Zambian Law Server
From: Dr Eberhard W Lisse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 19 May 1996 21:53:56 +0100

Neil,

At 3:39 PM 18/5/96, Neil Robinson wrote:
>I appreciate that Eberhard's message could generate many responses...

>> > Face it, it is a toy. Show me a site that your can really use for
>> > work :-)-O...

>... but at the risk of boring you all with another one, has anyone seen the
>Zambian law server (an African example)? Visit
[...]

I was yesterday in Johaneesburg and presented a paper on Internet in Namibia,
A Personal Perspective on the Telematics conference sponsored by the EU (in
the Regional Cooperation Track). I had access to a laptop with NetScape so I ran
the paper from http://www.net.na/~el/tele/ to prove we are on line :-)-O

Now the point I want to make is that one of the speakers on my track was from
ZM Ministry of Health and he was quite impressed when I browsed your health
page during his question time...

However, I am yet to find a site that I can actually work with. (Let me qualify
this a little by, "that is not available via email").

 CDC is great for epidemiological stuff, but they have a wonderful mailing list.
Virtual Hospital, nice, but for my practice?

As far as law goes, this is something really suitable for the Web. Court decisions
are transcribed with Word Perfect or Word most of the time, so one can
easily run them through a HTML back end. If one comes up with a proper naming
and citing framework, one can put all these cititations in as hypertext links.
WAIS and GLIMPSE as search engines on the Web and you have your complete
legal system available anywhere in the world.

greetings, el

--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse   \         /              Swakopmund State Hospital
<[log in to unmask]>            *        |               Resident Medical Officer