Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

Subject: Re: AfricaOne Project
From: Dr Eberhard W Lisse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 May 1996 09:04:09 +0100

Dilla,

At 11:37 PM 11/5/96, DILLA SAMUEL wrote:
>Hi:
>
>Talking of Internet for Rural Development, I thought of a paper that
>mentions a giant fiber optic cable that is being build by AT&T around
>the entire African coast. This project is called AfricaOne. So with this
>fiber optic cable in place we will be able to discuss the internet issues
>for rural development. This is going to be the infrastructure. Has anyone
>got more ideas on what AfricaOne is all about?

I'd like to hear more about it. I live on the coast, but they sure haven't
mentioned anything yet of an outlet. And unless there are outlets built
in for each country, you can forget about ever having access to it. Splicing
a fibre optic back bone is fun I understand, electrone microscope and all.

>We should be discussing the content that goes in the internet.

Why?

>Are we going to have tougher regulations pertaining to transmission of
>sexually explicit material?

What for? Who is we? Have you ever calculated what 3% net population growth,
or 5% crude birth rate means? Teenage pregnancy? Rather the rule in some places
here then the exception.

>Given that African countries have no experience with this kind of
>information overload, are we going to limit the expression of ideas or
>just let everything flow?

Why on earth, would one go to such extents as we are doing to get Internet
working in Africa, insulting each other in the process :-)-O, and then ask for
limitations?

>I'm interested to know what kind of internet Africa wants.  Internet for
>educational purposes sounds right, but there is difficulty regulating what
>children will find out say in surfing the Web. For Medical uses, internet is
>great.

First of all, this regulation business is Politically Correct, and I haven't
seen many people around here wanting PCness :-)-O. Secondly, can you
show me some Medical applications on the Internet? Nevermind some that
would work in our context?

>I think we need to learn from what the West is going through with respect
>to the internet otherwise we will find ourselves in uncontrollable influences.

Why do you want to control anything?

>Infact, I support going ahead with plans to introduce the internet as far
>as the rural areas of Africa deep to the villages. Doctors in the
>villages will be able to discuss with experts worldwide info regarding
>certain tropical diseases. First, stage introduction to schools would be
>to teach teachers and then as facilities become available the schools
>will have access to it.

I disagree here. We are looking at the "worst school in the country", so
to say and see if we can't find a couple of 386's or Macs for the kids.
Never mind the teachers, they'll learn easy. As before this doctors/experts
thing is much much overrated, in particular when your choice of drugs is limited
to not existant. Drug ordering is being done in Zambia with some success,
lab data maybe, abstracts perhaps, but IRC will only work once they have
easy local access...

greetings, el

--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse   \         /              Swakopmund State Hospital
<[log in to unmask]>            *        |               Resident Medical Officer