Black computer ownership/use in Africa

Peter Limb <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 May 1996 14:26:58 +0800

I am preparing a research paper and wondered if any of you had any comments
on, by way of your own experience or knowledge of the sources, on how many
black people own, or have access to, computers in various African countries
- my main focus is on South Africa, but I am interested in comparative data
as well.

Given that only about 30% of the South African population has home
electricty, then the dream of using the Internet to "leap-frog" over things
like the "book famine" etc. must obviously be cautionary.

How many, say, of your African contacts, would own or use a computer, or
computer with modem? Is this just for the Black "middle class"/elite??

I'd be interested in any of your observations on this matter.

Peter Limb
University of Western Australia
Nedlands, 6907, W.A. AUSTRALIA

email: [log in to unmask]