Help for EXOPCOM Archives

EXOPCOM Archives

Subject: Decision Making Process [from Freddie]
From: bives <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Apr 1996 19:42:21 +0000

Hi Blake,
If you can post this email to the EXOpCom mailing list on my behalf. It was
posted last Thursday, and I got a rejected posting message. I have already
sent an email to John M, but in the mean time, if you can post this to keep
its currency. Regards    Freddie

Hi everyone

Munir said:
>>I have for a long time been concerned about our "decision making" process.
>>don't have the all the answers but we have to get better at this. Please
>>lets try the following. If we can come up with a "process" for doing this
 --
>>it will save everybody a lot of time and bother. The "process" is still
>>rough but its a start. I have been thinking about this for a long time and
>>have done my best to reflect the "needs of the user" below.
>>
>>GUIDELINES FOR DECISION MAKING PROCESS ...

Blake's reply:
>Okay.  I think this is a reasonable proposal and am quite willing to go
>along with it. Thanks Munir, for pulling it together.  -- Blake

I second Munir's proposal. I thought it would be appropriate to mention
about our attempted decision making mechanism via TCBWorks (from my earlier
email which I had asked for comments about TCBWorks).

 ->Comments about TCBWorks
 -I don't think we gave it much of a test really.  Mostly the problem is
that
 -it just doesn't fit the way we operate.  Generally we do not have that
many
 -issues and when we do it is simpler to respond by email.  Just getting
into
 -TCBWorks requires about 5 steps (what page is it on, what is the password,
 -what is the account name, how does this work?  Plus, at least the version
 -we used before did not update immediately.

 -> What are the advantages of using TCBWorks?
 -Less in your face.  Some people feel free giving more depth

 -Ready-made groupware that does not require much equipment or effort to set
 -up, and it is free.

 -> What are the disadvantages of using TCBWorks?
 -Some people never signed on. Less in your face.Interface complexity.
 -Debates not publically accessible.

 -> Is it effective or relevant for use by this committee?
 -Maybe we should try it again. The one thing it could do that would add
 -value is let others see the issues we are debating.

 -Though minor, we did manage to use TCBWorks to set a date and time to
 -meet
at ICIS in Amsterdam 1995.

 -> If yes, why?
 -No. I've found it a pain in the butt to use, and it provides no facilities
 -beyond those a newsgroup would. Horrible, horrible.

 -> If not, then are there any other systems out there?
 -At the time I requested info on this I got lots of suggestions of other
 -systems.  I believe I posted that on ISWorld.  -- Blake

 -Lotus Notes? But we'd each need a server. This year, there will be a
deluge
 -of cheap Web-based groupware products on the market, many at about $1K
 -each.

 -They will do a lot of what Notes does, but without some of the programming
 -facilities.

To sum up, because this committee does not have very much decision making
issues to deal with, using the email with Munir's proposal is perhaps the
best solution.

However, we must not exclude the value of systems like TCBWorks. When the
level of decision making rises within this committee, then I think that
there is merit to consider its use, especially its latest version. The main
advantage is that it is a web-based groupware which is free and easily
accessible by all of us.

Our comments had been passed on to Alan, who I am sure will take them into
consideration to improve TCBWorks.

Regards

Freddie

*   Blake Ives             [log in to unmask]         410C Fincher Building *
* 214-768-4108 (Work)       214-768-4099 (Fax)          Edwin L. Cox School *
*                                                                       SMU *
*          Blake: http://www.cox.smu.edu/mis/blake.html    Dallas, TX 75275 *
*    ISWorld Net: http://www.isworld.org/isworld.html                   USA *
*                 http://www.dis.unimelb.edu.au/isworld.html      AUSTRALIA *
*                 http://http://smagal.ucd.ie/isworld.html          IRELAND *
*   ECOMM Course: http://www.cox.smu.edu/isworld/ecourse/home.html          *
* MISQ Discovery: http://www.misq.org/discovery/home.html                   *

  Still Relying on CTRL / ALT / DEL                             Try a MAC !!