CACM

bives <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Apr 1996 12:41:56 +0000

Although I do feel strongly that the CACM papers are a great opportunity
for those who have worked hard already on ISWorld Net please do not assume
that because your name does not appear on the list that we have devalued or
underestimated your involvement (although obviously that does vary a great
deal from perrson to person and from month to month).  These papers are a
better fits with some of us than others and there was mixed interest in
participating when we met in Amsterdam. Moreover, I have talked to several
of you already about other possibilities (The Faculty Directory, for
instance, could provide the basis for an interesting MISQ Discovery
submission - although the issues raised there could also be integrated into
the Multicultual paper described in the CACM proposal).  Parks and I have
previously talked about "a technical architecture piece" although it does
not so easily lend itself to an iniative on volunteerism - at least I
haven't gotten my mind around it yet.  I have also encouraged Parks to
consider submitting a variation on the Engine Room (with its own Engine
Room presenting the "big picture") to MISQ Discovery.  You may also feel
strongly that you have a different cut on this volunteer thing and would
like to have a go at proposing another piece for the CACM article.

Rick has identified one important objective - rewarding those who have
worked so hard.  A second is visibility and credibility.  But to me the
real objective is to demonstrate through this initial series of papers how
involvement in ISWorld Net activities can lead to publications.  That is to
use ISWorld Net as a vehicle for doing research, experimenting with new
knowledge dissemination schemes (e.g., the Engine Room) and so on.

Moreover, as George Kasper's involvement with Rick in paper four
illustrates, this is also an opportunity to bring guest bearing gifts to
our table. Perhaps we may wish to invite a third author to some of these
schemes who is not yet that involved in our schemes but who would add
credibility to it by having their name associted with one of these papers -
better yet, a great way to change attitudes is to change behaviors. Such
people might also provide us with some of the theoretical underpinnings
that I hope we can append to these various works.

Ultimately, the identiy of the authors of these papers should be more
related to work done to produce a first rate paper than work already done
on ISWorld Net.  If you feel left out and have some ideas, pick your target
and go after it.  As usual, around here, it is recent involvement and
contribution that gains our admiration rather than historical precedent or
reputation.

-- Blake

*      Blake Ives           [log in to unmask]        410C Fincher Building *
*  214-768-4108 (Work)       214-768-4099 (Fax)         Edwin L. Cox School *
*                                                                       SMU *
*          Blake: http://www.cox.smu.edu/mis/blake.html    Dallas, TX 75275 *
*    ISWorld Net: http://www.isworld.org/isworld.html                   USA *
*                 http://www.dis.unimelb.edu.au/isworld.html      AUSTRALIA *
*                 http://http://smagal.ucd.ie/isworld.html          IRELAND *
*   ECOMM Course: http://www.cox.smu.edu/isworld/ecourse/home.html          *
* MISQ Discovery: http://www.misq.org/discovery/home.html                   *

            If you are a fellow Macafile, give me an E-Shout.
      (it should be Macaphile from the root phil for lover - R.Watson)