EXOPCOM: Events as Fuel for Innovation

bives <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 15 Apr 1996 15:08:32 +0000

Sirkka and I have just finished a paper that looks at the process of
diffusing a transformational technology through an organization - using the
implementation of the WWW into two high tech firms as illustrations. The
reviewers made us boost the theory content and, in particular, link it more
closely to the results (sound familiar?).  Sirkka spent a bunch of time
digging out the theory (interrupted by the arrival of her new baby girl)
and I think it is really pretty good now (so is mom and baby, Sirkka
informs me).  I got the easy job of editing the paper, trying to apply some
of the theory to our results, (and begging the editor for a bit more time,
moaing to him about one particularly nasty and sarcastic reviewer and
complementing him on another that really added a great deal of value.)

Anyway, the bottom line of all this is an awakening on my part of the
importance of using external events as surrogates for crisis in trying to
promote transformation - i.e., ISWorld Net.  Clearly we have no real crisis
environment and months go by rather quickly. Events such as ICIS, ECIS,
status reports (oh, that's why we did that? ;>) ) sponsorshp announcements,
etc provide interesting opportunities for self-imposed deadlines as well as
visibility.

Last week we had two such mini opportunities that we might have been able
to exploit for better advantage.  One was a presentation by Munir at SIGCPR
on his proposed virtual conference page.  A second was Parks presentation
to the IRC and University of North Texas on the Engine Room. Both, as I
understand it, were very well received.  Perhaps in the future it would be
helpful if members of the Exopcom let us know when they are about to do
events such as those.  We might be able to provide some input, generate
some additional visibility and, if nothing else, have some motivation rub
off on us.

I am also hopeful that at some future point that Sirkka and I will find an
opportunity, in our writings, to apply some of this transformation change
literature to ISWorld Net.  At this point going through the material is
kind of like, "damn, we really did that" or "whoops, we should have done
that."  Pasting the theory up at the front end as if it were there all the
time is certainly not new to the business but unless we are going to really
be hypocritical, it would be nice if at least some of it really was up
there all along.   Who knows, maybe we can even drag Sirkka in to help us
with our "theory driven" objective.

--- Blake

*      Blake Ives           [log in to unmask]        410C Fincher Building *
*  214-768-4108 (Work)       214-768-4099 (Fax)         Edwin L. Cox School *
*                                                                       SMU *
*          Blake: http://www.cox.smu.edu/mis/blake.html    Dallas, TX 75275 *
*    ISWorld Net: http://www.isworld.org/isworld.html                   USA *
*                 http://www.dis.unimelb.edu.au/isworld.html      AUSTRALIA *
*                 http://http://smagal.ucd.ie/isworld.html          IRELAND *
*   ECOMM Course: http://www.cox.smu.edu/isworld/ecourse/home.html          *
* MISQ Discovery: http://www.misq.org/discovery/home.html                   *

            If you are a fellow Macafile, give me an E-Shout.