Re: EXPOCOM: Suitability for ISWorld

Roger Clarke <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 15 Apr 1996 09:01:12 +1100

Blake Ives wrote:
>BTW, I agree with Bob's concerns - in fact it put me in a bad mood for the
>day - and I have sent a message to several folks at Pittsburgh asking for
>their thoughts about how this reflects on ISWorld and the University of
>Pittsburgh.

Self-promotion comes in various forms.  Okay, so this particular form is
pretty crass;  but if someone offers, and indeed if the market happens to
like, compendia with limited value-add, and maximum hype, what's it got to
do with us and with ISWorld?

We also have to watch our stance re 'competition'.  The old-fashioned (in
Oz, we tend to refer to it as 'Brit') viewpoint would be that ISWorld is a
community service organisation, and hence the notion of competition is a
little beside the point.  The more up-market approach is to adopt the
position of market-leader based on differentiation-by-quality, and welcome
other providers who differentiate using such things as
maximum-count/minimum-filter, gloss and testimonials;  because by doing so
they enable our own differentiation advantage to stand out.

I must admit to a little more concern in one of my other roles, as an AIS
Councillor.  However the AIS pages at:
http://info.pitt.edu/%7Eais/
now merely point to Malhotra's page (whereas my memory is that at one stage
it was listed as 'AIS-sponsored', or somesuch).  Also, the page itself only
mentions the person's own School and University as sponsor (mmmmmm, could
be a bit dodgy, could that;  but that's up to Pittsburgh, and not me, AIS
or ISWorld Net).

Roger Clarke              http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/
Xamax Consultancy Pty Ltd, 78 Sidaway St, Chapman ACT 2611 AUSTRALIA
Tel:  +61  6  288 6916                       Fax:   +61  6  288 1472

Visiting Fellow, Faculty of          Email:  [log in to unmask]
    Engineering and Information Technology
Information Sciences Building Room 211       Tel:   +61  6  249 3666
The Australian National University
Canberra   ACT   0200   AUSTRALIA            Fax:   +61  6  249 0010