EDS Server versus Local Serving.

bives <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Apr 1996 11:22:06 +0000

[regarding Dave's message, below, about EDS server response on gif retrieval]

I am copying Tim Judson at EDS who looks after "the ISWorld virtual GIF
server.  He might have some background he could share with us on demand for
the server and, for that matter, on its characteristics.  I am sure that
they see this as a learning opportunity

Perhaps we willl need to move slowly toward using the EDS server given
Dave's comments as well as some from my students regarding responsiveness
yesterday (remember too that we have some 400 students currently working at
deadline speed on their global virtual team exercise - and from all over
the world).  But, I don't think it is fair to compare the response you are
getting at your desk from the server at your desk with the service you are
getting elsewhere.  The more appropriate comparison is the service that the
rest of us are getting from your desk versus from the EDS server.  Having
said that, I don't know what the difference is. I just (4am your time)
reloaded the page and everything showed up almost as fast as from the
cache.

Also, do you have your cashe turned to never reload?  The EDS schee is
predecated on having the same images  stored in everyone's cache rather
than multiple copies of the same image.  But that doesn't work if the cache
is turned off.

As page developers we tend to reload our pages lots more than regular
users.  For instance  I use open file and look at the versions that are on
my hard drive rather than the server, but with the full URL links to EDS it
willl still go out and get those images (or is it just checking to see that
the ones it has are current) each time you do a reload (if I am connected
to the net at the time).  One feature that would be a nice addition to the
browser would be a "reload text only" command.

BTW, I would be happy to run the faculty directory through the governance
group (as a precedent for page sponsorship) if you get a candidate.  A
publisher or consultant/systems integration house will require permission
from either EDS or Prentice-Hall, but given the traditional support for the
directory from McGraw-Hill I see little problem (plus, PH has still not
shown up with an agreement for this year even though they have commited -so
we have some bargaining room. In fact, given their lethargy, perhaps MH
might want to become the publications sponsor ;>) )

>Date:         Mon, 22 Apr 1996 09:24:40 -0500
>Sender:       EXOPCOM - ISWORLD Net Executive Operation Committee
>From:         DNAUMANN <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Graphics etc.
>To:           Multiple recipients of list EXOPCOM <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I appreciate all the feedback on the directory.  Thanks for taking the time to
>comment.  There is a lot more to do and I still don't have a sponsor ($$$).
>
>I also am experiencing a problem that I don't know how to solve.  The directory
>runs on a little old Dell P60 sitting in my office.  Something goes wrong
>once a
>month or so and I have to shut it down and restart it.  But I can time that for
>when it is clear there is little or no Web activity.  So it should appear to be
>fairly reliable.
>
>In contrast, going elsewhere for images works only part of the time.  Here in
>Minnesota, at 0900 Central Daylight Time on a fine Monday morning, my network
>connections are fine.  But I have to sit and wait for my own directory page
>because EDS can't furnish an icon.
>
>I do appreciate that we benefit from a central icon store, etc.  But when users
>have to wait for something so trivial it detracts from the usefulness of the
>whole ISWorld Net resource.  And we all know it only takes a few tries for a
>user to decide to never come back.
>
>I don't have an answer.  I do think if we are using some supposedly industrial
>strength resource we should have some assurance that it will work on Monday
>morning.
>
>-- Dave
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Justus David Naumann (Dave)       Information & Decision Sciences
>[log in to unmask]                Carlson School of Management
>http://webfoot.csom.umn.edu/              University of Minnesota
>Voice:  (612) 624-1364                      271 19th Avenue South
>Fax:    (612) 626-1316                    Minneapolis, MN   55455
>"Telecommunications is the infrastructure of the global economy."
>                                                       Herb Simon
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Blake Ives                [log in to unmask]        410C Fincher Building *
* 214-768-4108 (Work)       214-768-4099 (Fax)          Edwin L. Cox School *
*                                                                       SMU *
*          Blake: http://www.cox.smu.edu/mis/blake.html    Dallas, TX 75275 *
*    ISWorld Net: http://www.isworld.org/isworld.html                   USA *
*                 http://www.dis.unimelb.edu.au/isworld.html      AUSTRALIA *
*                 http://http://smagal.ucd.ie/isworld.html          IRELAND *
*   ECOMM Course: http://www.cox.smu.edu/isworld/ecourse/home.html          *
* MISQ Discovery: http://www.misq.org/discovery/home.html                   *
 Mac'84 + 11 Years of MS Reverse engineering = "Bill's a Genius" = whazatt?