EXOPCOM: New Look

bives <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Apr 1996 23:21:52 +0000

Both Munir and I have now gotten most of our pages translated to the new
look and feel (I have loaded mmy pages on the SMU server and hope to get
the UCD and Melbourne stuff out in a little while).  My hope is that we can
get all the level two (Division) pages as well as he country page template
converted before we tell anyone about it (yeah, I suppose they will see
it).  Then, hopefully sometime next week we can roll out an announcement on
ISWNET (Munir?) perhaps including the specific changes and maybe even some
of the HTML (particularly for body color, for the table of contents (with
links), and for the EDS address).  But, the EDS stuff is optional and
certainly the change to new names is optional (we are leaving the old files
out there and I for one have no intention of changing to the new ones
anytime soon. But, I am making extensive use of the EDS server.

Perhaps I will follow up Munir's announcement with a further clarification
about the table of contents links, the need to use the cache, and announce
a "test" for middle of May.  One interesting Test might be a graphic
related to the ISWorld Net contest (Rick, any progress with a graphic?)

Remember, there is only one truely trustworthy source to go to for the
right format - Munir's template. It is accessible from the home page in the
"how to contribute section."  From now on it is "the bible"  (I am hopeful
that with these changes the differences in format between the country page
and this template will go to zero and that they will now be significantly
reduced for INFOSYS Junction (navigation map and ISJ logo).  Please,
please, please, let us not argue anymore about minor things such as the
damn left hand for which there is no right answer and no major implications
of our getting it wrong.

Also, we have a new image repository (which will be updated tomorrow at
4pm).  It is also accessible from the "how to contribute page".

Unless we have problems with the central server approach, I hope this will
be our last "minor changes" update for the forseeable future.  It is
important to stress why we did it - better readaiblity, conserve bandwidth,
lower the costs of entry, help out environements that can not easily serve
up images, ease of image maintenance and so on.  I also think it looks a
bit better - though the top of the texthome page is a cacaphony of bad
(mine) images strewn all over Parks clean look.  Maybe he will pull us out
of that soup someday (and maybe find a replacement for the hand and the
contents lines that no one seems to be delighted with ((Munir, you have to
reupdate those images on your server))(shades of Lisp(parenthetical humor
for us old timers))).

While you are sniffing around your page, look for dead and unlinked limbs
to shoot or for things that have not been updated for a year and stir the
dead to see if they are still living.

By the way, Freddie is working on somekind of semi-automated update
facility that you might take a look at.

-- Blake

* Blake Ives                [log in to unmask]        410C Fincher Building *
* 214-768-4108 (Work)       214-768-4099 (Fax)          Edwin L. Cox School *
*                                                                       SMU *
*          Blake: http://www.cox.smu.edu/mis/blake.html    Dallas, TX 75275 *
*    ISWorld Net: http://www.isworld.org/isworld.html                   USA *
*                 http://www.dis.unimelb.edu.au/isworld.html      AUSTRALIA *
*                 http://http://smagal.ucd.ie/isworld.html          IRELAND *
*   ECOMM Course: http://www.cox.smu.edu/isworld/ecourse/home.html          *
* MISQ Discovery: http://www.misq.org/discovery/home.html                   *
Back in '84 I had the Original Big Mac - A Lisa that I think is still working