Re: EDS Server versus Local Serving.

bives <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 28 Apr 1996 23:14:52 +0000

The following is part of a message that I received from Tim Judson
regarding the EDS server.  It certianly reassures me regarding the capacity
of that server.

By the way, if you find it irritating when you are loading html files off
your hard drive rather than your server and find you now have to reload all
your images (from EDS) each time you make a simple change in the text, I
suggest you go back to another file and then forward to the file you are
looking at (instead of reloading). It will use the new text (at least with
MAC and W95) but not go looking for all those images again.

Freddie, by the way, apparently is experiementing with the kind of test
that Tim referred to (and it is noticable when you look at his pages -
images from EDS are already in my cache and there is no delay. Images he is

>Blake,
>
>Some thoughts on this problem. My first reaction is that the EDS server
>should not be the
>bottleneck. The images are housed on the same server as the rest of our
>web site. Traffic
>through the site has increased over the past 4-6 weeks and we are now
>averaging ~100,000 hits
>per day. We have seen no performance degradation over this time. In fact,
>our servers are
>rated to perform 250,000 hits per hour without significant performance
>problems.
>
>My other thought has to do with the way your HTML is written. There are
>many other factors
>that could contribute to one individuals performance problems (ISP or
>local network problems,
>cache setup, browser configurations). I would suggest that you benchmark
>access to the site in
>two ways. One where your images are coming from the same server as where
>you are sending the
>HTML and one where the images are coming from EDS. See what the results
>are. Also, try the EDS
>scenario from multiple locations and see what type of varied response you get.

* Blake Ives                [log in to unmask]        410C Fincher Building *
* 214-768-4108 (Work)       214-768-4099 (Fax)          Edwin L. Cox School *
*                                                                       SMU *
*          Blake: http://www.cox.smu.edu/mis/blake.html    Dallas, TX 75275 *
*    ISWorld Net: http://www.isworld.org/isworld.html                   USA *
*                 http://www.dis.unimelb.edu.au/isworld.html      AUSTRALIA *
*                 http://http://smagal.ucd.ie/isworld.html          IRELAND *