Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Cladophora question
From: Ursula Keuper-Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 7 Apr 1996 16:06:54 -0400

I have had considerable upclose personal experience with Cladophora as a
diver in West Maui waters.  Yet I know little about the plant itself.  In my
effort to learn more I stumbled upon an online Cladophora reference section at:

http://www.mbl.edu/html/MRC/CITATIONS/Cladophora.cit.html

I was puzzled that this page had so many references to Cladophora sericea
and no mention made of C. vulgaris which was my primary interest.  I
continued surfing the web search engines...

Just this week I stumbled upon a NOAA webpage that dealt directly with the
1991 algae bloom at our dive site.

http://www-ceob.nos.noaa.gov/mauimodel.html

What really surprised and puzzled me is they now refer to the green stuff as
Cladophora sericea and there is zero reference to vulgaris.

Previous to this newspapers and other printed material said the green West
Maui nuisance algae was Cladophora vulgaris.  Needless to say as a layperson
trying to write up a webpage it is critical I get terminology as correct as
possible.  Can someone enlighten me here?

The NOAA people have associated the Cladophora bloom of 1991 with the El
Nino effect - apparently higher temperatures in the surrounding ocean.  I
would be interested in knowing of other island nations who experienced
nuisance algae blooms in the summer of that year as well.

Thanks for your time.

                      ^                  Ursula Keuper-Bennett
                     0 0                 Mississauga, Ontario
            /V^\     I I    /^V\         Email: [log in to unmask]
          /V     Turtle Trax    V\
        /V      Forever Green     V\     http://www.io.org/~bunrab