Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Important note about BIBLIOGRAPHIC CHECKLIST OF NON-MARINE ALGAE IN AUSTRALIA

Tim Entwisle <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Apr 1996 13:02:27 +1000

BIBLIOGRAPHIC CHECKLIST OF NON-MARINE ALGAE IN AUSTRALIA (BCNAA)
Published by Australian Biological Resources Study
GPO Box 636, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
AUD35 (+ AUD8.50 postage within Australia; + AUD15.00 surface
postage overseas)

This publication has been available for nearly a year
but a recent review indicated that there might be some
misunderstanding as to its content. The following points are made in the
introduction of the BCNAA.

# As the title suggests, the BCNAA is based entirely on literature
  reports. We have scanned as much literature as possible
  (including 'grey' reports, ecological studies and checklists).
  Our aim was to collate all (or nearly all) literature records
  so that taxonomists, ecologists or whatever would be able
  to look through the reports of a particular taxon and
  assess for themselves the validity or otherwise of the report.
  We give distribution by State to help scientists locate names
  relevant to their own region. Inevitably some references will
  have been overlooked (and we apologized for this in advance).

# The BCNAA is NOT a census. The only synonymies we have included
  are those taken from Australian references (and these only
  for reasons of internal consistency). We have made no
  other taxonomic or nomenclatural changes.

# It was well beyond the scope of our project to produce a census
  or even a nomenclaturally current document. Whether articles are
  refereed or not, many/most records of non-marine algae from
  Australia are poorly documented and difficult to verify (e.g.
  we estimate 50% of names reported in the Zygnemataceae can never
  be verified). Thus a census based on literature reports from
  Australia would be a meaningless document. The task of assessing
  all records and reducing the literature to 'good' reports was too
  big a task (and one that should not be done without the assistance
  of experts in the various groups of algae).

# Clearly then, the BCNAA includes many misidentifications and
  taxonomic or nomenclatural synonyms. We envisage the checklist
  being used by taxonomists (e.g. for 'Algae of Australia' accounts)
  as a way of finding all literature reports and all names used
  in the Australian context. The taxonomist can then try to trace
  voucher material or assess the report in the original literature.

# In summary, if a name appears in the BCNAA, that taxon has
  been reported from Australia. There is no implication that
  the alga actually lives here.

# A final trivial point. The illustrations were included by the
  publisher as a way of breaking up the text. They serve no
  identification purpose and the authors had to accept the advice
  of the publisher on this one.

Tim Entwisle
Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne, Birdwood Ave, South Yarra 3141, Australia
ph: 03-9252 2313 fax: 03-9252 2350 email: [log in to unmask]