AFRIK-IT April 1996

Re: Making sense of views and opinions

"Folayan, Sunday" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 28 Apr 1996 13:15:00 -0700

Dr Lisse, and others who are following this thread:

Dr Lisse wrote:
> I simply disagree. If all the current projects unified their link(s)
> and got some local NGO, businesses and UN field offices together it
> could be done.

Things are not too stable to foster the situation. Most serious IMHO is that
successors do not respect, nor uphold decisions of their predecessors.

Last year, I visited the University of Nigeria - Nsukka, expressed concern at
the number of abandoned building projects. My guide pointed out that each
Vice chancellor on assuming duty, initiates a fresh project. He was able to
sort the projects by VCs.

Last week, the communication minister withdrew licenses granted to business
centres, to operate phone booths. Reason? Death threat calls were being made
from these centres. He directed the Nigeria Communications Commission to
refund their N25,000 ($300) license fee. (6 months salary of a University
lecturer). The implication of this is that any profitable venture is quickly
saturated by gold diggers, while government reacts sharply and decisively.

> Schlumberger, by the way, has a working IP line to Lagos, I have
> exchanged several messages with them...

Almost all Oil companies do. Some even extend it off-shore to their rigs. the
speed is what varies. I know of an Oil company that keeps their IP link going
at 9600bps. They always cover their costs. They pay the best wages anyway. I
thought we agreed that sustainability is the key word?

> What does NITEL's management say about this? Joint venture? They might
> be interested if thy could become involved as an ISP, perhaps? Thats
> what SONATEL is doing further west.

They claim that their fingers were burnt in the cell phone venture. They
certainly attend all meetings, seminars, conferences, talks, opening
ceremonies etc. They take note of all that people say, but they keep mute. I
know they have a seat on the Nigeria Internet Group, but I doubt if the same
person sits twice. In any case, the NIG is not making much impact.

> Please, don't get me wrong, I wish to see all African countries
> connected. And I am quite willing to put my foot where my mouth is so
> to say :-)-O, I am a medical practitioner doing this in my own free
> time, not a consultant making a living from this...

Not at all, I indeed respect all that you have achieved, and most of what you
say. I do quarrel with how you put some things occasionally!

On a lighter note, to know that the good Dr Lisse can be embarassed did put
me in a very confused state. Shall I giggle at the amusement, or should I say
I am sorry for doing just that? As a good fighter, I choose the latter.

Sunday A. Folayan
The postmaster general assures that mailing [log in to unmask] is healthy!