Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  April 1996

AFRIK-IT April 1996

Re: Internet influence on rural development

carol cross <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Apr 1996 12:24:24 -0500

Dear Afrik-ites of the world,

>On the topic of connectivity and rural populations, how does this
>rhetorical statement strike you:

Let me share  with you my support for the need for development in Africa. I
own a list called EAF-L and am developing a  system for livestock feeding
and feed security that can be used by countries  where dry season cattle
feed causes the loss of animals every year.  One of my subscribers took
umbrage to my posting to the list information on this system.

This is my response.

Dear C,

Thank you for this opportunity to share with the list just what the EAF-L
list is about.  You unconsciously have become a facilitator of the
EcoAgroForestry Way of ecoentrepreneurial development. What I am saying here
should have been said earlier, so I am grateful that you precipitated my
response.

Let me tell you what EAF-L is.  This is a list for people who want to change
the problems of hunger in the world by supporting already-in-place resources
so they can be maximized for the use of EarthHoumans, Lifekind and the
EarthHome.  EarthHumans, especially hungry EarthHumans, will make the
decisions about whether biodiversity is maintained or lost. Hungry
EarthHumans will determine whether the Rain Forests are cleared for short
term pastures or not. Hungry EarthHumans will determine whether we all
maintain a high quality of life.  We here in the developed countries, with
our fantastic and luxurious lifestyles, cannot realistically think we can
maintain our high quality of life while keeping billions starving. I wonder
if part of our reason for not wanting the developing countries to develop is
just so many of us will be able to maintain this "quality of life", while
they continue to starve.

I intend to buy from list members, sell to list members and to facilitate
buying and selling between list members, with or without my knowledge. I
intend to involve list members in RAICs, help list members develop RIACs in
their countries, join with list members in developing low-tech
EcoAgroForestry Village Business Incubators and pull them into caring about
the street chidren as well as other projects. I intend to enable people who
have been slammed on other lists for daring to share who they are and what
they they have to offer to the world. This is a list where people are free
to buy and sell any products, services, and equipment as long as it relates
to sustainable agriculture, sustainable forestry and rural agroindustrial
development. Anything goes within that framework.

The reality is there are 1,700,000,000 head of cattle in the world. Every
year in many countries of the world, where people depend upon these animals
for what little high quality protein they get in their diets, these animals
die and the people starve. Millions of cattle die because they have not yet
developed technology for storing feed for their livestock. I am sure your
theoretical ideas about this and the "evils" of cattle raising are clear in
your consciousness, but right now children are dying because cattle died
that could have lived and provided meat. These people could be alive and not
suffering from protein malnutrition.  Or perhaps from an esoteric point of
view, it is better if these people do die and lower the population pressure.

We have such a productive and successful entrepreneurial culture that we
have the luxury of supporting populations who believe they are outside the
business economy. They are not. For example, on another list someone said
Bill Gates should not have control of MicroSoft because it's a monopoly.
Then he said MicroSoft could have been created by the nonprofit sector.
Corporations should be eliminated he said. If it could have been, it would
have been.  But, it hasn't been.

If there were no MicroSoft, you and I would probably not be communicating
this way. I personally am grateful for Bill Gates' work and am grateful to
be alive at this time in history. Everyone uses the results of our
entrepreneurial culture; at the same time, many are hostile to it and want
it to be destroyed. And, they definitely do not want other populations to
have the know-how and technology to develop and use up some of the resources
that we now use for our quality of life.

Other countries cannot afford the luxury of being hostile to business
because they need to increase their whole business structure and
entrepreneurial population in order to provide the minimal basic needs for
their populations.

I personally do not eat meat, but others need that protein. And I will find
a way to help them just as I will find a way to help the 15,000,000 street
children in Latin America alone. I was an only child, grew up in the woods
among ancient trees. I prefer the company of trees, butterflies and other
life forms. I meditate with trees; I have a Spirit tree. I am a tree hugger.
I love to study the growth of plants in a sward and I love the wild free
life. That is the life I prefer.

In an alternate world where there would be no starvation, no street
children, I would be living my life out doing what I love best: studying
seed germination in some esoteric university lab somewhere, closeted away
with scientific equipment, and enjoying my sojourns of solitude. My hobby
would be butterfly gardening and plant propagation of wild plants.

But this is not that alternative world where there are no hungry, lonely and
ill street children and where there are no dying cattle that could be feed
for people who are in need.

Whatever I know, whatever resources I have will be turned to real world
problems, real starving people, real cattle dying of hunger and real
solutions based on the marketplace. I am a plant ecologist, trained as a
theoretical plant ecologist.  I wish I could live that life. But how could I
possibly sleep at night without hearing the voices of the children in the
streets,  crying out in pain, hungry, competing with animals for garbage,
being sick, fevered, uncared for, discarded, suffering pain, being raped,
beaten, being shot down like vermin, finally dying with their emaciated
bodies thrown on the dump heap like the refuse they are considered to be?

I will be happy to send you a list of theoretical lists that you can join. I
will suggest you join the EcoPsychology list where they prefer discussing
the theoretical rather than the real. <[log in to unmask]>.
Subscribe EcoPsychology  Your Name

If you stay on this list, you will hear of other equipment to make green
products and green products needed and for sale, and about projects located
thoughout the world. I will be placing RAIC Participation Postings seeking
those on the list who want to change the world by creating sustainable rural
industries to provide employment for starving people. If finding resources
in order to set up businesses in rural areas throughout the world - which
provides jobs for people, utilizes presently burned and destroyed resources,
and provides food for people - offends you, you are on the wrong list.

THIS LIST IS ABOUT ACTION. We plan to do things. Many of us are already
involved in projects. This is not a theoretical list.

I was trained as a theoretical plant ecologist but it makes no sense to me
*as an action person*, an empath who can feel the pain of those who reach
out for help when there is no help. I feel their pain so deeply, that I have
no room in my consciousness for dedicating my energy toward conversion of
people who are hostile to this ecoentrepreneurial approach.

Those who are opposed to what I am doing and my goals on this list are
clearly  not the people who will feed these people, develop industries to
employ them, create solar and other energy systems they can use, and provide
with them appropriate technologies to relieve Third World women of their 16
hours days of back breaking drudgery and labor.  And such people certainly
do not approve of providing meat for these people to eat since they are so
hostile to cattle. But think about it, at least they are killing the cattle.
I wonder why they don't feel it is better to kill them in one short thrust
than to let them slowly die of starvation. Perhaps at their rarified level
of consciousness, starvation is more "natural". And I am sure they won't
develop enterprises and mobilize resources to meet their needs. Therefore
they do not belong on this list.

Only those who want to create sustainable businesses or provide needed
information, spiritual support, financial resources, equipment supply,
consultancy services and other support to such efforts are part of my world.

The choice is yours. If you find this ecoentrepreneurial approach
unacceptable, you may feel free to unsubscribe EAF-L.

Dr. Carol Cross, List Owner
Carol Cross, PhD  EcoAgroForestry  Founder (501) 367-6127 (Ph)
2801 Olive, #35A, Suite 113                (501) 367-8736(FAX)
Pine Bluff, AR 71611                        Email: [log in to unmask]
Together we Can Create A Sustainable World  Through EcoAgroForestry
(Sustainable  Agriculture,  Sustainable Forestry and Rural AgroIndustrial
Development).  Form  Consortiums & Develop a  EcoAgroForestry Village
Business Incubator (VBI)  or Rural  Agroindustrial Center (RAIC), NOW!
Become an EcoAgroForestry  Entrepreneur and Regreen the EarthHome!