Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  April 1996

AFRIK-IT April 1996

Re: Internet influence on rural development

Michael Epah <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Apr 1996 09:30:31 +0200

Dr Eberhard Lisse wrote:

> Well thought out packages, like ours will help. All junior doctors *MUST* go for
> two years to the periphery but they get carried one year on a peripheral
> post while being trained in the central hospital, ...

Something like that would be great for Cameroon too, but it would take a
different Government to implement it. The present is ...

> > B)  If instead the person or company that came to me said:
> >     "I have only Internet access to offer you. Are you going to accept
> >      my offer or not ?"
> [...]
> >
> >     then:
> >        It would be wrong to start arguing about whether access to
> >        clean water should come first or not.
> >        Remember the person cannot or is not willing to give you anything
> >        but Internet access now.
> >
> >        My choice will be clear without hesitation:
> >        Give the Internet access now !!!
>
> This is a very good contribution, but of course totally wrong. In fact it sheds
> light on a huge problem in development, the "White Elefant", because it translates
> into developing countries having to accept the most ridiculous, ill researched, top
> down "projects" (we call this to pull a UNESCO here :-)-O)  because as one of my
> colleagues from Niger put it: "But, they have the money, so they decide."
>
> Au contraire :-)-O.  This is Imperialism, and as far as I know that is not on any more.
>
> Draw a line and tell them: "Take your Internet, we can't use it, we need water,
> agriculture etc. We have got this project going here, why don't you support it
> instead".
[...]

You got me wrong.
Of course imperialism is gone, or should be gone. I am not suggesting that
we allow anything to be forced on us.
I assumed that we know that we are the boss in our house, knowing what
we need. Now I know that I need connectivity to the rest of the world
and that is why I want it.

By the way, your situation is much better than mine:
You have access to the telefon network. 90% of Cameroon doesn't.
I would be very happy if we hat what you have. If someone came to me today
and promised to give me what you have, I would be very greatful.
I wouldn't ask him to give me schools etc first !

> >        To me it is not a question of access to clean water or access
> >        to medical facilities or food-/income generating technology etc
> >        (The "or" here is meant to be exclusive)
> >        No, to me it is all of them. So if someone can/will only offer
> >        me Internet access, then no problem, I will say welcome !
> >        Not everyone can build hospitals, bridges, factories, etc.
>
> And what happens once the funding runs out?  As usual the nonfunctional
> computers remain proudly displayed in the lab...
>

> Sustainability is a major portiona of all of what one does...

Well I didn't expect them to buy me the computers too.
I only want access to telecommunications networks. Internet and computers
 is only a part of it. The good thing about internet access is that, it
makes sure I have access to telecom networks - like you do :-)

Best regards
   Epah

Michael Epah, Networkadministrator

Address  : GMD, Institute for Telecooperation Technology (TKT)
           Dolivostrasse 15, D-64293 Darmstadt, Germany
Phone    : ++49-6151-869-888
Fax      : ++49-6151-869-965
Internet : [log in to unmask]