Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  April 1996

AFRIK-IT April 1996

Re: Internet influence on rural development

Abubakr Alkhalifa <[log in to unmask]>

Abubakr Alkhalifa <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Apr 1996 16:58:11 -0500

Hi Afrik-ITers,

It seems that LOUD voices, regardless of proactivity, are effective in
generating responses.

On Sat, 20 Apr 1996, Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:

> This is clearly the wrong approach and never going to work. I speak here
> from experience, I *DO* work on a daily basis with primary health care
> nurses in two outlying clinics. FORGET about it!!!

FORGET about it!!!???
WHY?  Justify !

> Endangered Practices? Now we are going to become PC? We need to get away
> from these witch doctors who are killing off the uninformed, and you
> want to put them on IP?

I said -Valid- traditional medicine.  Some discussion around -Valid-
traditional medicine was going on DEVEL-L.  Educational and research
institutions in the US, South Africa and Canada were involved/referred to
in the discussion.  Those interested may visit the DEVEL-L archive at:
http://library.wustl.edu/~listmgr/devel-l

The issue was discussed between Dec. 15, 1995 and Jan. 3, 1996.  Two more
messages from Steve Worth on Jan. 12 & Jan. 25, 1996 and one more from
Kerry Miller on Feb. 26, 1996.  The topic was discussed under these
subjects:
(IT vs. Poverty) = (Let Them Eat IT) ?!
Modern Medicine
"traditional" Medicine
traditional medicine
Traditional Healing (fwd)

BTW, the NIH "National Institute of Health" is also investigating this
issue, as an alternative medical practice.

> A fortune will be thrown out of the window if you manage to convice some
> ignoramus at an aid agency to fund these insane schemes. This money
> should rather be put into direct projects.

Again, be objective, rationalize what you say, and use respectful
language.  "ignoramus"    "insane"   ????!!!!!!

> But I understand some of the motivation behind this, which may be quite
> honorable, if ill advised/informed.
> Sooner or later you'll have to come back, right? So you need a ticket...

I am the one who knows the exact motivation behind this "..." behaviour.
It is the suffering from the bitter taste of my message to DEVEL-L dated
Mar. 18, 1996 titled "Re: Enough About Laptops" and the messages that
followed from other DEVEL-L members.  BTW, DEVEL-L is one of the top 100
lists on the Internet, with 1300+ members.

I really feel pity for your attitude, and suggest you read the following:
1) The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, by Stephen R. Covey.
2) The Matrix, by John S. Quarterman.  Section 3.3.5 "Etiquette & Ethics",
which can also be found at the URL:
http://www.mids.org

If you are interested, I am will happily donate them to you.

I'd be glad to send any of the above e-mail messages to any body who is
interested.  However, if there is "high" demand, I will post it/them to
the whole list.

On another message, I will talk about a specific research project I am
working on right now, and I will need your -objective- feedback.

Abu

Abubakr Alkhalifa               "I.T. vs. Poverty"
612 Montclaire Way              Graduate Student
Mobile, AL 36609                School of Computer & Information Sciences
USA                             University of South Alabama
Tel/Fax: (334)660-0242          [log in to unmask]