AFRIK-IT April 1996

THE WAY FORWARD

Derek Ajesam <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:56:10 +0000

 * Original to aig ([log in to unmask]) Enter * Dated <Wed 10 Apr 96 03:51>
from area 'NetMail - The Matrix  (Private Messages)'
 * Forwarded by ada (5:7751/1.1)

Hi aig-interim,

Below is the second posting.

Derek
**********

To     : RESPONDENTS TO THE COMMON MESSAGE
Subject: THE WAY FORWARD

Dear Committed African Meeting Participants (CAMP), exactly three months ago,
I sent a message to you with the subject: "GLOBAL CONNECTIVITY TO AFRICA IN
DEADLOCK".

I wish to express my sincere thanks to all of you who reacted in one way or
the other, despite the numerous preoccupations especially pertaining to
individual family matters.

I only acknowledged receipt of your reactions.  Please consider this as
being a formal response.  Judging from your reactions, I NOW address you as
COMMITTED African Meeting Participants (CAMP), who can jointly work together
for the greater course of achieving Global and Sustainable African
Connectivity with NO RESERVATIONS and NO SELFISH INTERESTS.

I would basically like to hear from you, who took the precious time and
energy to write a response to my December 29  message, seeking from
you - your position on your ability to re-confirm your commitment to a unified
effort towards the benefit of continental connectivity. This, if you were
previously FOR this initiative, aside from your own LOCAL
initiative.
 You might be thinking:  Continental connectivity and continental
inter-networking initiative on top of my own local initiative?.  Well, I
barely have enough time and energy to keep up on top of my own local
initiative..  how could I contribute to a continental initiative?.
The answer is: This is NOT for EVERYONE.  There are a few committed people
among us who would like to contribute and do so without reservations so
that it may benefit the continent.

The point is: WITHOUT a COMMITTED continental initiative and an
understanding as to HOW increased efficiency and functionality can be
achieved from INTER-NETWORKING from local/regional initiatives, the
EMERGENCE of Africa in the Informatics and Telematics arena from a
global perspective will remain an INFINITE ILLUSION. The natural
progression for all of us, if you agree is to voice our position, in
such a blueprint.

This is also an invitation for you to participate GENUINELY and WITHOUT
RESERVATIONS with a PEER GROUP that will be as committed as you.  It is
desirable to submit that the formation of such a group is NOT MERELY to
create YET ANOTHER group.  It is to form a NUCLEUS of people who have
clearly the VISION and COMMITMENT to embark on some actions for the common
interest of the Continent.

Those who desire NOT to participate and are NOT interested in this are
FREE to stand aside RIGHT AWAY. You need to ONLY acknowledge receipt of
this message and indicate that you would not be able to participate.

For those who are interested, this is your opportunity to MAKE KNOWN and
to CONFIRM your commitment to such a venture. Further, IF you are
willing to extend or COULD provide any VOLUNTEER SERVICES to this
initiative also indicate.

Please understand that if you are NOT PREPARED to COMMIT to this
initiative yourself, perhaps you are willing to share the POTENTIALS
or offer support *(technical, clerical, administrative, material and
financial)* towards this larger initiative. It is the SUBMISSION that
EACH of us has a stake in our larger success.  Each of us can also contribute
to that success.  Some in smaller forms than others.  But it is GOING to be
required that this initiative be one that is UNIFIED..  It is going to be
required that Egos and Hidden Agendas shall be confiscated
at the door..  ONLY genuine and forthright interests need apply..  :)

You might know someone who could be involved in this initiative, who did
not get my message  of last December 29.  Please pass that message to him/her
as well as this message on "The Way Forward"

ALOHA! and thank you for your attention.

Derek Ajesam Asoh