AFRIK-IT April 1996

Re: networking update djibouti

Lishan Adam <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Apr 1996 09:05:26 +0000

Hi all,

>It seems a lot is happening around there. It is very encouraging.
>How far is Ethiopia from full connectivity.

a lot is goining on in the Horn of Africa both positive and
negative. The most unlikely countries such as Djibouti are embarking on
connectivity. The Ethiopian case is a bit complex at the moment. Though there
are number of intiatives including BITE (Bringing Internet  To Ethiopia) and
PADIS' effort, Telecom seems to cut all efforts off. This morning I received a
copy of a letter instructing us to close down PADISnet link that connects over
2000 users. The reason is simply because that the telecom is the sole owner
and regulator of everything modem, wires, switchs, people and connectivity. I
do not see a problem with telecom providing network service in any country in
Africa while keeping existing connection running.

Most PT&Ts in Africa feel connectivity is a
"cash cow" and reduces their revenue if someone else does it. Since their
computing standard is very low (there are very few individuals with any idea
how networks operate) it is often difficult to talk to them.
 I think we need to educate as much as we can.
Others are worried about open communication (Mike's posting).

>Do you know if there is any plan to improve the data communication and
exchang
>among the IGADD countries.
There are a two projects that are funded by USAID to bring connectivity within
the IGADD countries. The Greater Horn of Africa Network project being
implemented by PADIS (contact [log in to unmask])
 and a project to link agricultural researchers in the
horn being implemented by ICRAF (contact [log in to unmask]). Our assessment in
Uganda, Kenya, Eritrea, Ethiopia and Tanzania showed that there is a strong
need for early warning information and communication network using all types
of technologies.

>To me, the internet has a vital role in Disaster Prevention >and Prepardness
cti vities.

I agree, My concern here is how can we diffuse Internet (even Fido) to rural
areas? What technologies? who pays? etc. Are the PT&Ts ready to grant license
to communication technology for the rural areas? Will they librealize. Even if
they liberalize how far they go. I posted a partial story on liberalized
Uganda few months ago. Many policy makers can not see the problems "net users"
see and impact of networking. How can we go about it? Whom shall we approach?
etc. The approach by the High Level Working Group and others seems to me
timely. We may need to join forces to educate policy makers on the impact of
connectivity. Education is the only way out:-)

Regards.

Lishan