AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

Monospaced Font

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  April 1996

AFRIK-IT April 1996

Input to CIDA on IT & development requested (12Kb).

Richard Labelle <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 5 Apr 1996 13:49:43 -0500

     !! PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS EVENT WHICH ORIGINALLY WAS TO
     BE FOR ONLY 2 WEEKS HAS BEEN EXTENDED UNTIL APRIL 30!!

     INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT IN THE DIGITAL AGE

     2 week Informal Survey/Discussion on
     Information and Communication Technologies for
     Sustainable Development

     **Ceck our Web site at http://www.bvx.ca/ict/ for this
     same message in a friendlier format**

     This is an interactive event in which to participate
     and let us know how you believe information technology
     tools can impact on the developing world. This is a
     pilot exercise restricted to this particular initiative

     We at CIDA (Canadian International Development Agency)
     wish to hold an informal electronic survey/discussion
     on the "impact of Information and Communication
     Technologies (ICTs) on sustainable development"; we
     wish to collect people's ideas and experiences on how
     these tools can affect the lives of men and women, and
     so could favour development in developing countries
     We're asking you to ponder the potential impact of
     information and communication technologies, and the
     services they provide, on the development process, and
     to let us know what you think.

     With this informal electronic discussion/survey we hope
     to obtain a substantial input of ideas and information
     to help us in improving our international development
     assistance for developing countries. Apologies in
     advance if you've already received this message, but we
     are trying to reach out to the greatest possible
     audience.

     We do hope you'll contribute some thoughts on THE USE
     OF ICTS FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT (which include
     basic telephone service, data transmission,
     informatics, the Internet, radio, television, satellite
     systems, remote sensing, geographic information systems
     and the services they enable). Visit our Web site
     (http://www.bvx.ca/ict/), where we will be posting the
     interesting inputs we receive, as well as some
     background documents on development, and hot links to
     other interesting sites.

     PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE ON TO OTHER INTERESTING
     PEOPLE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN DEVELOPMENT ! WE ARE
     COUNTING ON YOU AND THE SNOWBALL EFFECT TO GIVE THIS
     MESSAGE WIDE CIRCULATION!

     Thanks!
     Gerry Kenney - Senior Advisor, Telecommunications and
     Information, Policy Branch, CIDA Kim Hendi - Project
     Manager
     For assistance or further information : [log in to unmask]

     CIDA invites You to

     a 2-week Informal Survey/Discussion on

     INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES

     FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT

     http://www.bvx.ca/ict/

     INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT IN THE DIGITAL AGE
     ==============================

     As part of CIDA's efforts to maximize its use of
     Information and Communication Technologies and
     services in its collaboration with developing countries
     to make our World a better place to live, we are
     conducting this 2 week survey/discussion and inviting
     you to be part of one of the first truly electronic
     fora on development issues in the digital age. We will
     collect your input from March 17 to March 29, 1996. A
     wrap-up of results will be published on the Web and
     will archived on CIDA's Web site.

     Stop and think : Newsweek for February 1995 carried a
     picture of a kikoi-clad African farmer on the scrubby
     veld with a spear in one hand and a wireless phone in
     the other. Perhaps he is phoning Nairobi to find out
     the selling price of cows. Could we have imagined that
     5 years ago? Nor did we imagine using the Internet to
     provide medical information to remote areas. Now,
     every day, something utterly mind-blowing turns up with
     a point and a click. This is a pivotal era, and a
     perfect time to ask the digital world to pause, and
     ponder the opportunities and implications of digital
     media for development.

     WANTED : INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT PIONEERS
     ============================

     We invite all who have knowledge and/or interest in
     Information and Communication Technologies in
     Development to actively participate in this
     survey/discussion. This is a chance to contribute to
     the mutual understanding of important subjects under
     discussion and to have the satisfaction of knowing that
     your views will be disseminated widely.

     We are searching for compelling input on the basic
     issue of how Information and Communication Technologies
     (ICTs) can be used in international development
     assistance programming in the digital age to further
     the 6 priorities identified in Canada's foreign policy
     and described in the Canadian Government brochure
     "Canada in the World". They are:

     - BASIC HUMAN NEEDS:
     to support efforts to provide primary health care,
     basic education, family planning, nutrition, water and
     sanitation, and shelter. Canada will continue to
     respond to emergencies with humanitarian assistance.

     - WOMEN IN DEVELOPMENT :
     to support the full participation of women as equal
     partners in the sustainable development of their
     societies.

     - INFRASTRUCTURE SERVICES :
     to help developing countries to deliver
     environmentally-sound infrastructure services, with an
     emphasis on poorer groups and on capacity building.

     - HUMAN RIGHTS, DEMOCRACY AND GOOD GOVERNANCE : to
     increase respect for human rights, including
     children's rights; to promote democracy and better
     governance; and to strengthen both civil society and
     the security of the individual.

     - PRIVATE SECTOR DEVELOPMENT:
     to promote sustained and equitable economic growth by
     supporting private sector development in developing
     countries.

     - THE ENVIRONMENT :
     to help developing countries to protect their
     environment and to contribute to addressing global and
     regional environmental issues.

     What we need is YOUR input. How can global digital
     media and information technologies assist development
     cooperation in these 6 priority areas?.. What are the
     challenges ahead?.. How can both women and men benefit
     from these new tools to achieve sustainable development
     ?.. What are Canada's opportunities vis-?-vis the
     developing world and the Information Revolution?...
     What does this mean in practical terms, etc.. ?
     You don't have to comment on all 6 priorities. Just
     address those (or the one) that you feel comfortable
     with. As you will see below, we have also provided a
     7th category for comments of a general nature that do
     not address any particular priority.

     2 WEEK COUNTDOWN

     During the days from March 17 to 29, we will focus on
     the 6 program priorities, identified in Canada's
     foreign policy, and which are described in the Canadian
     Government brochure "Canada in the World". The question
     for each of the categories is, "How can ICTs be used in
     the developing world to promote sustainable
     development?" The examples given for each category are
     just that - examples. The possibilities are endless.

     1. Basic Human Needs -- Basic education, health and
     family planning information, brought to isolated
     areas by electronic means; natural disaster
     preparedness /mitigation...

     2. Women in Development -- Access to knowledge and
     training, involvement of women in the new media,
     participation in the design and implementation of
     ICT projects...

     3. Infrastructure Services -- Telecommunications and
     its socio-economic impact; Energy; Transportation;
     Water, Irrigation and Sanitation...

     4. Human Rights, Democracy and Good Governance -- Mass
     media, informed citizenry, visibility of
     government, rule of law, justice system, HR
     education, public participation, electoral
     process, responsible government, active civil
     society, dialogue on policy..

     5. Private Sector Development -- The business
     environment, entrepreneurship,
     partnership, direct foreign investment,
     micro-enterprises and small businesses,
     financial institutions for savings and credit ...

     6. The Environment -- Geomatics, remote sensing,
     global positioning,
     geographic information systems, coexistence and
     co-evolution of natural
     and virtual worlds, natural disaster
     preparedness/mitigation, environmental
     assessment, environmental management (audit,
     compliance, management plans), capacity
     development in environment...

     7. General Comments on Development -- Reflections of a
     general nature on the use of ICTs to promote
     sustainable development in the developing
     world.

     INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
     ======================

     On March 29, the last day of the survey/ discussion, a
     CIDA team will begin editing your inputs and will
     publish the results on the Web. We expect that these
     inputs will constitute a dynamic mosaic of the
     opportunities and challenges for development that the
     dawning digital revolution which is transforming our
     planet can bring not only to the industrialized world,
     but to our developing partners as well.

     HOW TO DO IT
     ======

     1. Through the World Wide Web: http//www.bvx.ca/ict/

     2. By e-mail, send specific remarks to:

     [log in to unmask]: general reflections on information and
     communication technologies for development

     [log in to unmask]: comments relating to basic human needs

     [log in to unmask] : women in development

     [log in to unmask]: infrastructure services -
     telecommunications, transportation, power,water,
     irrigation, and sanitation

     [log in to unmask]: human rights, democracy, good
     governance

     [log in to unmask]:private sector development

     [log in to unmask]: the environment

     3. For more information, E-mail to : [log in to unmask]

     ABOUT YOUR INPUT:
     ==

     Your input is important to help us explore the trends
     in Information and Communication Technologies and
     Development; to provide insight into the opportunities
     and challenges that developing nations and
     international assistance agencies face today; insight
     into how to incorporate information and communication
     technologies and services into the development process.

     Selected responses will be archived and may be used by
     CIDA for purposes that will advance public
     understanding of this event. Some material will be
     selected and arranged for appearance on the Web
     accompanied with author attributions. Copyright for
     such published material will remain with CIDA.