Subject: Re: Querry regarding Thank-you.
From: Peter Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 16 Mar 1996 21:38:50 +0000

   I recently got into an agrument regarding the phrase 'thank-you'. I
   learned that when it is part of a salutation, you use the dash, but in
   other cases, depending on the circumstance, you just write 'thank you'
   (no dash). Everybody I've asked seems to think that you never use a dash,
   but I was hoping for some expert opinions. Any advice would be greatly
I find it hard to understand why or how anyone could insert a hyphen
unless they were binding the verb to the pronoun in order to make a
It's only "thank-you" with a hyphen when it's used as a noun, for
example in "His thank-yous were many and loud" (and even then many
people would disagree). In all other cases it should be written as two
words, surely? Who said it should be hyphenated when used as a
Salutation? You mean as in