Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: Conditional HTML Alternatives
From: [log in to unmask] (Scott E. Preece)
Date:Tue, 19 Mar 1996 09:11:14 -0600

 From: Paul Prescod <[log in to unmask]>
| At 03:29 PM 3/18/96 PST, Joe English wrote:
| >Since most current browsers use a strictly event-driven approach,
| >it will be difficult for them to "back up" once they see the
| >alternate representation element.  If the alternate representation
| >is required as the _first_ subelement instead of the _last_
| >it would make on-the-fly and/or event-driven formatting easier.
| That's a good point. I just thought it might make editing easier to put it
| at the end. Is the ease-of-formatting benefit worth the ease-of-editing loss?

Instead of having a sub-element whose semantics are applied by its name
(, why not have a wrapper element that goes outside an element
that may be unsupported:

			A table of ...

The PROTECT element would be defined to contain an [impliciti] <PREFERRED>
subelement and an [explicit] ALT element, with the semantic that only
one of them is rendered.  My SGML is not strong enough to be sure
whether the ALT tagging needs to be explicit - the notion should be that
there is exactly one top-level element in the PREFERRED part.

I seems simpler to define one wrapper element than to require
substructure in every newly defined element...

scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550
internet mail:	[log in to unmask]