Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  March 1996

AFRIK-IT March 1996

Re: USAID and the Internet -- your chance to comment

"Dion, David (AFCD)" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Mar 1996 11:05:00 +0000

     Jeff --

     My comments were certainly not addressed at you (and perhaps I should
have said "excluding Jeff Cochrane") as I have appreciated your
contributions to this and other lists on this topic.  I would also like to
thank you for your response to mine.
     I do not think we will have much dispute on this list to the idea that
Africans should be consulted on the wiring of their continent.  That should
be obvious.  But the issue is larger than that.  I have been in this circuit
(IT in Development) for years (and made a lot of the mistakes I now want to
see avoided) and am dismayed at the continuation of unilateralism towards
this matter demonstrated not only by USAID but also by other donors and,
sadly, also the UN agencies.
     To me it is not enough to have a few Africans in the room or consulted
by listserv.  It is not even enough to fly out and talk to some ministers.
 The approach has to be changed dramatically from supply-driven top-down to
demand-driven bottom-up.
     An equally disturbing aspect of this unilateral approach is the
tremendous loss of opportunity for collaboration and combined effort by the
donors/development community.  How many different projects do you know about
to "wire Africa"?  I had a list of some 25 about 18 months ago -- I have
since lost count.  The amount of money involved collectively is astounding.
     It is clear to anyone who knows anything about the technology that the
basic infrastructure required is the same everywhere and for everyone.  And,
with few exceptions, no one is disputing the technologies anymore: it is
TCP/IP-Internet.
     What is needed is collective and coordinated effort by the development
community to address the common requirements of our constituency -- be they
doctors, farmers, educators or whatever.  We do not need any more hot shots
putting in sexy new gadgets in developing countries just to show that "it
works", or because it is a challenge, or to sell to the next level of donor.
 We need basic, widespread, affordable and sustainable _connectivity_.
     Anyway, I am perhaps going a bit beyond what was being discussed.  I
will stop my little rant here and hope that someone else would like to pick
up on it.

     Best regards,
     DDion