HTML-WG February 1996

Re: Forcing good markup?

Peter Flynn <[log in to unmask]>

03 Feb 1996 19:31:44 +0000 (GMT)

Dave R writes:

   If HTML-WG is to have an impact on the Web, then we must respond to
   market realities.

Ditch HTML and use MS-Word/WordPerfect/TeX/Frame? This is the "market
reality" that our users, from office to lab, are using. 99% of them
don't understand why the Web has to use HTML in the first place, when
"Word/WordPerfect/Frame/TeX/whatever is so common/useful/obvious".

                      In place style info is, and will continue to be an
   important part of a very large fraction of Web pages. This group has
   the chance to help migrate people, as they gain experience, first to
   switch from ad hoc attributes to using a standard mechanism for in place
   style info, that is very easy to learn, and then to the benefits of
   authoring effective, and reuseable style sheets.

You're 100% right as usual about the need for training/education, but
I would hope we can avoid them using ad hoc attributes in the first
place. IMHO 50% of the problems of implementation currently existing
are a result of us letting things out that should never have seen the
light of day (<p> EMPTY, for example). The other 50% is browser
writers who don't read the specs :-)

///Peter