Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

HTML-WG Home

HTML-WG  February 1996

HTML-WG February 1996

Re: Do we have a rough consensus on html/style?

Peter Flynn <[log in to unmask]>

03 Feb 1996 19:44:19 +0000 (GMT)

   | That is unreasonable -- a decent Word-like HTML editor would hide the
   | styling mechanism, so that the user would not need to know (or even care
   | about) what is happening underneath.

   This may be a good place to answer the STYLE attribute questions!
   In a decent Word-like HTML editor, if the user highlights a word
   and select red color, what should happen to the underlying HTML
   document if STYLE attribute is not used?

The word gets surrounded by <em class="color:FF0000">...</em> where
abc123 is a value looked up in a learned list to see if the user had
used the class "color" before; if not found, it's an auto-generated
internal value cooked up by the program and added to the list for
future ref. An entry is made in a stylesheet, if necessary, otherwise
it's reused from a learned template; and the stylesheet ref is
inserted in the header, if it wasn't there before. The lookup list
could even be updated from a recently-downloaded copy of a
publically-identified (DSSSL?) style sheet. We can argue about the
semantics of CLASS, but I simply don't see where STYLE is needed,
unless we just make it a synonym for CLASS.

This is all basic relational stuff. It happens a million times a day
in systems where a user updates a piece of information by adding some
attribute value to it.

///Peter