HTML-WG February 1996

Fixing browser discrepencies

[log in to unmask] (Philip Trauring)

Wed, 28 Feb 1996 13:30:12 -0500

I apologize if there is something along these lines already existant in
HTML, but I have not found it and I think it would be a good addition.

The problem I seek to solve is the vast differences that exist in
displaying HTML documents in different browsers and on different platforms.
Often this is the fault of the browser which implements a specifc tag
poorly. However, there are some browser display problems which are
independent of the HTML code(at least currently). These problems can
include the number of pixels to offset the displayed HTML from the left
side of the window, the amount of offsetting text for <UL> or <BLOCKQUOTE>
and others I'm sure people on this list can think of. The problems of
course lies with the fact that different browsers(and even the same browser
on different platforms) use different measurements. Even the screen
resolution can thow off these measurements.

What I have in mind to fix this can be implemented in a few different ways.
The best way, of course, is to perhaps set a clearer standard for these
somewhat iffy measurements and try to get all the browser developers to
stick to them. Another way is to implement a header tag that defines the
document's creation enviroment. Either by saying something like: <CREATOR
browser=mozilla version=2 platform=mac resolution=72> which would require
the browsers to keep a database of other browser measurements and adjust
their display accordingly, or by saying something like:
<CREATOR offset=7 ULoffset=? BQoffset=?.... > which would just place the
setting of the browser you are using. This could, of course, be automated
by the HTML editor in use. Both tag methods have their advantages. I
believe the first one is better because it is easier for the HTML writer
and places the maintenance of the measurements list in the hands of the
browser developers.

Going along with standards it would probably makes sense to just have all
this info introduced in META tags, like:

<META NAME="browser" CONTENT="mozilla">
<META NAME="platform" CONTENT="mac">

etc. etc.

However, always one to prefer simplicity I would prefer a single tag like
above to introduce all the data.

Anyways, let me know what you think.

        Philip Trauring

                   Philip Trauring      [log in to unmask]     617-736-6702
                         "knowledge is my addiction, information is my drug"
                                        http://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~philip/