HTML-WG February 1996

Re: FORM, PRE and INPUT

[log in to unmask] (Scott Bigham)

Tue, 27 Feb 1996 20:32:51 -0500

>A different concept would be to remove the <form> element, allow
>the input elements where text is allowed, and bound the attributes
>now found in <form> to the submit button. Something like:
>(Based on the March 1995 HTML3 draft).

[DTD fragment elided]

>This gets rid of multiple forms per document, still allows for
>multiple actions per document, and avoids the possibility
>of putting <input> between table rows or list itmes mentioned
>in another posting.

You could get multiple forms back by adding (for instance) a FORM
attribute with value type IDREF, or perhaps NAMES, which ties the input
element to one or more submit buttons via the latter's ID attribute.
So for instance, the field <INPUT TYPE=TEXT FORM=form1> would be sent
by the submit button <INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT ID=form1>; the field
<TEXTAREA FORM="form1 form2"> would be send with that button, and with
the button <INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT ID=form2>.  This latter has the
interesting extra bonus of allowing one input element to be associated
with multiple forms.  I think we even get the GUI interest here, as this
attribute value can be generated by having the user "connect" (via a
drag line, for instance) an input element to its associated submit
button.

>Unfortunally, it is not forward compatible with HTML 2.0.

Aye, there's the rub.

						-sbigham