HTML-WG  February 1996

HTML-WG February 1996

Re: FORM, PRE and INPUT

Tue, 27 Feb 1996 17:19:07 -0500

In a message dated 96-02-27 13:08:53 EST, [log in to unmask] (Joe English)
writes:

>This is probably a good idea anyway.  If form input elements appear
>in an inclusion exception, then they can appear *anywhere* inside
>a FORM, including places that don't make any sense (like between table
>rows or list items).  The restriction that they can only appear as
>descendants of a <FORM> element has to be enforced as an application
>convention instead of by the parser, but that's easy to check for.

This may explain why I've started running accross pages where the form
elements are not contained within the form.  Netscape has some random
algorithm for associating these orphan form elements with one of the forms
on the page. Authors never notice the problem and post their pages.

Is there any real purpose for allowing multiple FORM tags? Or is this just
a hold over from the old days when only one SUBMIT button was allowed?

Multiple FORM tags greatly increase the complexity of WYSIWYG editing
since I need a mechanism for marking the boundries of the FORM areas.
Drap and drop is complexified by requiring the drop zone for a control to
be on a form. I'm just about ready to punt all of this and promote the FORM
tag up to just under BODY and then refuse to edit documents with multiple
forms. Would people really object to this?

Jon Smirl