Mon, 12 Feb 96 15:34:57 -0500

   From: [log in to unmask] (Ian Graham)
   Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 15:22:56 -0500 (EST)

   1. What about CLASSes that have no styling meaning? For example, I
      might want to use <DIV CLASS="transient"> to indicate that a
      document block is transient, and should not be indexed by a search
      engine.  How can I do this so that it does not mess up stylesheet
      class bindings?

I believe that the original HTML3 spec for CLASS allowed multiple
classes, e.g., <DIV CLASS="transient chapter blue">.  That is, one
would specify the declared value as NAMES, as is currently found in
the I18N I-D.

   2. What about the CLASS for an entire document -- is it sufficient
      to have <BODY CLASS="..."> or is it useful to also specify CLASS for
      the HEAD?

It would depend on why you are using CLASS: to denote presentation
semantics or some other semantics.

Glenn