Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

HTML-WG Home

HTML-WG  February 1996

HTML-WG February 1996

tables.06: Suggest/Example not Recommend Layout Algorithms

"David W. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Feb 1996 13:05:44 -0800 (PST)

TEXT/PLAIN

My sense is that layout algorithms should be in the RFC as part of the
discussion which helps the reader interpret the intent of the normative
text.

In addition, I believe that the Algorithms are incomplete as written.

Therefore, I propose that we make some minor changes with the intent
of establishing these algorithms as overview examples.

The changes:

Lines 74 and 1264: Changes the title of the section to something like
   one of the following: (from "Recommended Layout Algorithm")

     Layout Algorithm Overview
     Possible Layout Algorithms
     Suggested Layout Algorithms
     Layout Algorithm Sample Approaches

Lines 1305-8: replace the following introduction to the autolayout algorithm:

  If the COLS attribute is missing from the table start tag, then the
  user agent should use the following autolayout algorithm. It uses two
  passes through the table data and scales linearly with the size
  of the table.

with:

  If the COLS attribute is missing from the table start tag, then the
  user agent should use an autolayout algorithm such as described in
  the following example. It uses two
  passes through the table data and scales linearly with the size
  of the table.

This is a relatively minor point but I think it would better reflect
the intent of the document.

Other than this, I have reviewed draft 06 and am satisifed that the
concerns I have raised on this list and in Dallas re. an unintended
appparent bias of the text to accept loss of content due to clipping
have been addressed.

Dave Morris