Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: Roderick MacKinnon book
From: Peter Robert Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Feb 1996 10:32:22 -0500

On Feb 10,  5:38am, Richard Scott wrote:
> Subject: Roderick MacKinnon book
> An trangg Richard :-
>
> Finally found a book from the public library, says it is aimed at helping
> someone to get to pass an O level in Gaelic, from 1970-71 or so
> publishing date.
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Richard Scott ([log in to unmask])
> "Oh the Flame Trees will find a weary Driver
> Ain't Nothin' else can set Fire to this Town"
>-- End of excerpt from Richard Scott

These are just my opinions as a fellow learner. Excuse the English, as this
response is directed towards new learners.

The MacKinnon book was my first Gaelic book. Without tapes or a teacher (around
1975) I found it fairly useless (at first!!). It is very "old fashioned" and
stresses grammatical exercises to the neglect of conversation. Modern
conversations are not covered at all. A lot of "Calum is tending sheep in the
field", "Mairi is collecting peat for the fire", and not much "Will we be able
to eat at the hotel?" "No, but there are a few good restaurants in town.".

The good news is that the book has been completely rewritten by Robertson and
Taylor (R&T). It is still called Teach Yourself Gaelic but now it is by R&T. It
is easily available from a decent bookstore (NTC Publishing Group) for $24.95
WITH 90 minutes of tape. For the price, R&T is the best course I've seen for a
student WITHOUT a teacher. (I like Gaelic Thru Conversation, by Parsons better,
but only if you have a teacher or also have R&T). R&T is VERY "user friendly"
and is also conversational. The grammar is NOT neglected either. GET THIS BOOK!

Now, back to Mackinnon:
I still have mine and despite the above comments, I use it a lot and I like it
a lot! Just not as a FIRST book for an isolated learner. I think of it as a
good grammar and a great (well, at least very good) source of grammatical
exercises. But if you are just starting out, I really can't think of a better
place to start than R&T.

Good luck.

I hope this helps!

--Pete  "Pa\druig"