CELTIC-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

CELTIC-L Home

CELTIC-L  February 1996

CELTIC-L February 1996

Re: The Three F's: Feasting, Fighting, and Fornicating

Sharon Smith Hurlburt <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Mon, 26 Feb 1996 23:43:41 -0500

At 06:15 AM 2/25/96 -0500, you wrote:

>I think with the feminist/lesbian/gay community and their response
>to this thread that they should be very careful.

Who's said anything about the feminists?
(Although I do happen to be one)

>Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
>
>As much as ye wish to be tollerated ye must also tolerate others!

What's that?  The eleventh commandment?

>Yes! This is a free society and you can love what and how you want:
>-dogs,sheep,goats,ugly manlike women,ugly women like men take your pick-
>you can even love yourselves (a banker with aspiration(bhanker)).
>You are free to do so.
>
>But then you must tolerate the opinions of others without complaint.
>If I find lesbianism repulsive and homosexuality repulsive then I have
>the right to say so without you folks chiming in to say I have not the
>right to do so. Remember you are the newly freed and it is by our tolerance
>that you folks can roam the earth out of the closet-with all the implications
>for changes which must be made to the existing system (I wont even get into
>the burdens of the Helth care system).

<insert sarcastic tone here>  Well, gee, I'm sooo glad that you sooo
graciously allowed us poor womenfolk and gay folk and black folk to have
just a few thoughts to ourselves and maybe just a teensy, weensy bit of all
that power you white heterosexual Christian males gaurd so tightly and wield
sooo well. If we're good, will you let the Pagans and the Buddhists and
those other non- Christian religions come out too? <end sarcasm>

Let's get one thing straight- it is not "by your tolerance" that minorities
have any power, it is through their own fighting for it and forcing you to
give it to them.  You did not give it up of your own free will and you've
been whining about it ever since.

>So therefore you folkes need to tolerate others. You may defend your
>lifestyles but you man NOT condem others for what they think of your
>rather disgusting ways and dangerous habits.

It is not us who need to learn about tolerence, it is you.  No one has
stated that anyone should not be allowed to say any comments or demanded
anyone be banned from the list for stating their opinion.  However, people
have stated that they have felt offended by others comments, which you seem
to think is alright but only if it's the poeple whom you agree with. I
personally do not feel that I should feel so grateful at "being allowed" an
existance by you that I should just take what is thrown at me and keep my
mouth shut about it.  If I am offended by another's comment, I will say so
and that is my right as a human being, despite my being a woman, and a
Pagan, and a liberal and an environmentalist and a whole host of other
things.  You have a right to disagree with me (as I'm sure you will), not
because you are white heterosexual Christian male, but because you are also
a human being.

>As to what the ancient Celts did well some things were admirable but as in
>every culture there are weaknesses---some of which lead to defeat and
>cultural colapse.  I would have liked to have seen the Celts defeat the
>Romans--are we sure that their lewd ways did not contribute to their
>downfall?

And I'd looove to see some *academic* back-up on this one....

Certainly moral degredation within the Roman empire has been
>cited as one dimension of Romes fall.

So has lead poisoning...

>Not all lifestyles and behaviors contribute to the success of cultures in
>all situations-total freedom also resembles total anarchy and we must
>remember that it is cultural focus which sustains growth and freedom.

I disagree.  Cultural focus only serves to further exclude those that do not
fall within that focus.

>Conrad

Sharon,
who would also like to state that, despite certain things I may have implied
in this post, I don't actually hate men.  I'm just not particularly fond of
the ones who seem to think that because they have a penis and their anal
track goes only one way and that they worship the One True God (TM), they
now own the world