AFRIK-IT  February 1996

AFRIK-IT February 1996

academic cooperation via Internet

Mon, 19 Feb 1996 09:35:16 EST

Please Note: This message is a request for participation in a feasibilty
study.  We are looking for professors working indeveloping countries.

Please note...if you know any professors who might be interested in
participating in the project described below, please give them a copy of
this message.

Thank you

Kyla Huckerby
Research Assistant for Warren Thorngate
Ottawa, Canada

Dear Colleague:

A few months ago we received small grants from the Canadian Bureau
for International Education and from the Society for the
Psychological Study of Social Issues to study the feasibility of
having retired professors in developed countries volunteer their
time and expertise to work with professors in developing countries
as team teachers or research consultants.  We are writing you now
to ask if you and some of your colleagues would consider
participating in such a project.

The rationale for the project came from both developed and
developing countries.  A large number of productive academics are
now retiring from colleges and universities in North America,
Europe and elsewhere.  We believe that a significant proportion of
them want to continue using their knowledge and skills in some
teaching or research capacity.  Yet most cannot do so in their own
universities.  At the same time, many universities in developing
countries have a shortage of professors.  Most professors who do
teach in developing countries are extremely talented and dedicated
to their profession.  Yet they and their students lack access to
many educational and research resources and have few opportunities
for contact with international colleagues.

We think it is possible to solve some of the problems of higher
education in developing countries with the time and talents of
retired professors in developed ones.  A few years ago, this could
have been done by flying retired professors to universities in the
developing world.  But the world has changed.  There is now little
money anywhere to support an airlift.  On the other hand, we now
have the Internet.

Most professors in the developed world have access to the
Internet, and it is rapidly proliferating in developing countries.
Almost all countries in Latin America have at least one university
with some form of Internet access.  A few universities in Africa
have limited Internet access (for electronic mail).  Universities
in Asian countries and in the Middle East are joining the Internet
as fast as possible.

As a result, it is now possible to link retired professors in
developed countries to an increasing number of working colleagues
in developing countries via the Internet.  If good relations can
be established this way, many useful and joint activities would be
possible.  Working professors in developing countries and their
students would benefit from contact with an experienced colleague.
Retired professors would be able to continue using their talents,
feel appreciated, and learn about another culture.

Would you like to become involved in this project?  If so, we
would like you to help with our feasibility study.  Please send us
back your name and addresses using the form below and return them
to us.  We will then contact you with further information about
the project, and ask you a few questions about your teaching and
research needs.  Also, if you know of colleagues who you think
would be interested in the project, please forward this message to
them or add their names and addresses in the spaces below so that
we can contact them directly.

Thank you for your interest. We hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,
Charles McClintock, Professor Emeritus
University of California, Santa Barbara
&
Warren Thorngate, Professor
Carleton University, Ottawa

Your name:
Institution:
Department:
Mailing address:
FAX:
Home phone:
E-mail address (if available)

Do you know colleagues who may be interested in this project?  If
so, please give us their names and addresses below.

Name of colleague:
Institution:
Department:
Mailing address:
FAX:
Home phone:
E-mail address (if available):

Name of colleague:
Institution:
Department:
Mailing address:
FAX:
Home phone:
E-mail address (if available):

Name of colleague:
Institution:
Department:
Mailing address:
FAX:
Home phone:
E-mail address (if available):

Name of colleague:
Institution:
Department:
Mailing address:
FAX:
Home phone:
E-mail address (if available):

Please forward your name and addresses, and your list of
colleagues to:

Or send your list to:
Mailing address:  Professor Warren Thorngate
                      Department of Psychology
                  Carleton University
                  Ottawa, Ontario
                  Canada K1S 5B6
FAX:              (613) 788-3667
Phone:            (613) 788-2600 ext 2706