AFRIK-IT February 1996

Re[2]: Internet in Rwanda

Johan Brusten <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 15 Feb 1996 08:22:07 EST

Subject: Re: Internet in Rwanda
Author:  "African Network of IT Experts and Professionals (ANITEP) List"
     <[log in to unmask]> at INTERNET
Date:    14/2/96 13:00

On Feb 12 Jeff Cochrane wrote:

I worked out a business plan with a computer retail firm in
>Niamey, and he was quite interested in setting up a business for
>TCP/IP Internet access that would require him to invest at least
>$100,000.

It seems to me there's an incredibly small  market for internet services in
Niger.  Who would the subscribers be, other than an odd NGO, a few
commercial interests, and a few gov't people?  This man you refer to may
express interest in spending $100,000 to set up this sort of business, but
that doesn't mean he'll do it.

>In Uganda, we estimate that each of the two private-sector TCP/IP
>Internet service providers invested more than $250,000 to start
>operations.
>
>Here in Botswana, there is discussion of leasing satellite space for
>a TCP/IP Internet service that will cost perhaps as much as $20,000
>a month (not a year, a month).

Yes, but how feasible are these businesses in the long term?  Talk is cheap.

I really am curious to know how these people are going to make any money,
with such a small subscriber base.  The majority of the population can't
afford it, even if they did have access to reasonable phone line service.
Satellite service may be more feasible technically, but there's still the
cost factor to the subsriber.

I think you should do some calculations.  Anyway the business man will do
it.  With 250000usd investment and 5000 usd a month on salaries, you can
have your money back in 5 years with 200 subscribers and 150 usd a month.
The rest is benefit.  There are enough embassys, ong, un and other
expatriates to set up a system even in post-war Rwanda.  All the list of
Jef is quite correct.

Greetings