Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: Do we have a rough consensus on html/style?
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Wed, 31 Jan 96 20:26:24 EST

> Do we have a rough consensus for draft-ietf-html-style-01.txt yet?

Not even close, I'd say.

* STYLE attributes in the document need to identify the notation that
  they use, or (better) should be dropped.  Claims that the marketplace
  has proved anything must be substantiated by clear market research.

* The STYLE element breaks existing browsers, and needs to be removed.
  The LINK with a TYPE attribute I think is a good step forward, and we
  can agree on that easily.

* I think we might be able to agree about using CLASS for styles.

* I think we might also agree about allowing an ID for use with styles.

* I think there needs to be a clear, unambiguous statement of how these
  style sheets relate to DSSSL, now the only international standard way
  of associating styles with SGML.

The actual syntax I care much less about, although I am not sure if there
is a way of specifying vertical baseline spacing as a percentage of type
size, and I think there should be.

There are some font portability issues, too, that need to be addressed.

Lee

-
Liam Quin, SoftQuad Inc +1 416 239 4801 [log in to unmask]
HexSweeper NeWS game;OPEN LOOK+XView+mf-fonts FAQs;lq-text unix text retrieval
<URL:http://www.sq.com/> SoftQuad Panorama, HoTMetaL, Services, SGML tools
`The future holds promise for those who have faith in it' [Inglis billboard]