Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: STYLE= in TABLES Draft? Was: Request for current consensus status on table draft 05
From: "David W. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 26 Jan 1996 19:02:22 -0800 (PST)

There was agreement in the IETF/Dallas HTML-WG meeting that the STYLE
attribute was not appropriate for inclusion in the TABLE RFC. This
was in response to my observation that prior WG mailing list discussion
seemed to oppose haphazzard addition of STYLE to TABLE elements w/o
considering the remainder of HTML.  Also, the lack of concensus as to
STYLE sheets and representation of STYLE modififier specification for
HTML in general made it inappropriate for inclusion in the TABLE
specification.

I do not concur with the current draft because I do not believe STYLE
attributes should be partially introduced to HTML without considering
all of HTML and without the full debate/concensus process focused on the
STYLE issue. This should in no way be construed as an opinion about the
STYLE attribute, only the process of discussing and introducing it
into HTML.

Dave Morris