Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-html-tables-04.txt
From: Bert Bos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 25 Jan 1996 11:54:29 +0100

Benjamin C. W. Sittler writes:
 > This most certainly is a *styling* issue, and should therefore be handled
 > in the accompanying stylesheet. You could use classes if you really
 > wanted to, i.e. <TABLE CLASS="NOFLOAT">, and convince major vendors of
 > non-stylesheet browsers to support it too. I wouldn't be surprised if
 > some of the vendors of balloon-the-language browsers would go along with
 > this as an alternative to endlessly expanding HTML.

My favourite interpretation is that ALIGN gives *two hints* to the
formatter (I like `hint' better than Dave's `fallback'), as follows:

                                               | LEFT | RIGHT | CENTER
  ---------------------------------------------+------+-------+-------
  1. table may float & text may wrap around it | yes  | yes   | no
  2. default position w/ respect to margins    | left | right | center

A style sheet could override both (1) and (2), but usually it only
overrides (2), if only to make clear which margin to align with: the
current margin, the window, etc.

I could, e.g., specify that a table with align=left floats to the top
of the page, align=right floats to the bottom, align=center doesn't
float, but could nevertheless be left aligned (i.e., without text
wrapping around it).

In an imaginary style language, reminiscent of CSS:

  table [align=left]
  {
    flow: Topfigs;	/* It goes into a reserved area at the top */
    text-align: center	/* ... and it is centered in that area */
  }
  table [align=right]
  {
    flow: Botfigs;	/* It goes into a reserved area at the bottom */
    text-align: center	/* ... and it is centered in that area */
  }
  table
  {
    display: block;	/* Break paragraph before and after */
    margin: 12pt 0pt;   /* Extra whitespace above and below */
  }			/* Note: no alignment, use whatever is current */

Note that a NOFLOW attribute would reverse the meaning of hint #1,
complicating the style sheet. Therefore I think it is better not to
add it.

Bert
  [log in to unmask]                                  INRIA project RODEO/W3C
  http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/People/Bos/   2004 Rt des Lucioles / BP 93
  +33 93 65 77 71                 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France