Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: Do we have a rough consensus on html/style?
From: Terry Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 31 Jan 1996 15:13:48 PST

>Do we have a rough consensus for draft-ietf-html-style-01.txt yet?

No.  There was a great deal of unfavorable comment on the proposal
to put style info in attributes, such as

  <P STYLE="color: red; font-style: small-caps">

(one of three methods of associated style sheets with HTML docs
described in that draft).  I don't know of anyone who was opposed
to this proposal who was convinced by the ensuing discussion.

I strongly urge that this Very Bad Idea be removed so that we may
have proper separation of style info from document markup.  I am
most puzzled by

>while for short lived material
the ability to place rendering instructions within documents has
also been proven in the market place.

proven to be what?  a way of subverting HTML's semantics?

Regards,

--
Terry Allen  ([log in to unmask]), Online Books Editor, Songline Studios
              affiliated with O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.