Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: Comments on Tables Draft
From: "Dave Raggett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 22 Jan 1996 17:23:17 -0500

> page 10:
> Either than or change the < into something like an 'inherits from symbol'
> e.g.  an <- arrow or something.

Thanks for the idea, I will add an explanation and switch to ">".

> The only other thing I would suggest is switching the COL and COLGROUP
> definitions in the body text, and adding a note to the COL SPAN explanation
> that a COL SPAN does not define a group.  It is merely a way to share
> attribute definitions.

I will adopt your wording.

>    <COL SPAN=2 CLASS="foo">
>    <COL SPAN=1 CLASS="bar">
>    <COL SPAN=2 CLASS="baz">
>    <THEAD>
>     <TR><TH>a<TH>b<TH>c<TH>d<TH>e
>    <TBODY>
>     <TR><TD>1<TD>2<TD>3<TD>4<TD>5
>   </TABLE>

This isn't strictly legal according to proposed DTD. You need to
place a <COLGROUP> before the first <COL> element. This is an
unfortunate consequence of how the SGML spec is defined. It is
very restrictive for when you can omit the start tag of elements.

-- Dave Raggett <[log in to unmask]> tel: +1 (617) 258 5741 fax: +1 (617) 258 8682
   World Wide Web Consortium, 545 Technology Square, Cambridge, MA 02139
   url =