Help for HTML-WG Archives

HTML-WG Archives

Subject: Re: table spec draft 4
From: "Dave Raggett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 22 Jan 1996 16:40:14 -0500

> 1. The draft says the comment address is [log in to unmask];
> presumably this should now be [log in to unmask]

Yes, my mistake.

> 2. What is the meaning of the ID attribute on COL elements where SPAN is
> 0 or is greater than 1?  Is the ID given to the first column of the
> span and none to the others?

The ID allows the COL element to be named whether it spans one or more
columns. This could be used to attach rendering styles to the spanned
columns, or to attach an annotation etc. It is *not* the case that the
ID is given to the first column of the span and none to the others. The
ID is associated with the COL element not the columns.

> 3. The explanation of the "*" representation for widths is inadequate -
> what are the widths relative to?  The default for the colgroup?

The widths are relative to each other, as is explained in the
description of the suggested layout algorithms. This is intended
to be as per the CALS model. The available space is first allocated
to columns with absolute widths, and the remaining space divided up
between the relative sized columns.

> 4. The definition of the WIDTH attribute of a COL refers to the set of
> columns covered by a SPAN as a group; to avoid confusion with a COLGROUP
> (and avoid any thought that the RULE=GROUP would use such a span as
> a group), it would be better to call it a span or "set of columns in the
> span".

The text currently says for <COL>

 WIDTH
       Specifies the width of the columns, see standard units. If the
       element spans several columns then the WIDTH attribute specifies
       the width for each of the individual columns - not the width of
       the group.

I assume you mean that the word "group" on the last line should be
changed to span. This would make sense to me.

It looks like I need to make two changes then: first to update the
working group email address and second, the definition for COL as above.

-- Dave Raggett <[log in to unmask]> tel: +1 (617) 258 5741 fax: +1 (617) 258 8682
   World Wide Web Consortium, 545 Technology Square, Cambridge, MA 02139
   url = http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/People/Raggett